"Yes." Otis said bluntly, making Cruz sigh in defeat.

"Because that's super healthy." Cruz mumbled as he glanced over his shoulder, catching sight of Rory who was still in conversation with a guy he was sure Otis was mentally cursing. "Have you thought about Rory in all of this?"

"All of what?"

"Your insane plan to repress your feelings for her." Cruz replied bluntly, knowing full well that Otis knew what he meant and was just trying to dodge the subject. "I mean, you know she likes you... Have you even thought about how she's gonna feel?"

"She'll get over me." Otis said with a touch of disappointment, his eyes dropping down to the table before him. "She'll find someone else... Women always do."

"God, man... I don't understand you sometimes." Cruz muttered, annoyed, which made Otis look back up at him with furrowed brows. "You complain time and time again that women always choose the other guy over you yet when a girl clearly likes you... Clearly wants to be more than friends with you, you refuse to do anything about it."

"I already told you, Cruz. Rory deserves-"

"Better than you, right." Cruz finished for him, clearly fed up hearing those words coming from Otis's mouth. "But Otis, did you ever stop to think that maybe she doesn't want better than you? That the only person she truly wants... is you?"

"I've made up my mind, Joe." Otis whispered, trying to pretend those words didn't just break his heart. He had to believe that Rory would move on. That she'd find a better guy for her and go on to live a happy life, with someone who hadn't treated her the way he did. He had to, otherwise he didn't know what he would do if he found out what he was doing was simply just hurting her. Again. "Rory and I can't be together."

"Fine, but if that's the case... Then you have no right to be jealous when she talks to other guys." Cruz replied before he walked away, unable to put up with his friends idiocy for any longer.

Cruz was right though, Otis knew he had no right to be jealous when Rory spoke to other guys, as that was basically what he wanted her to do in order for her to find that better someone for her. But he wouldn't deny that it was hard for him to see her near other men, to see her laughing and smiling at what they said, something he wished he'd made her do in the beginning rather than making her cry. God, what had he been thinking back then?

Had he just treated Rory like he'd treat anyone else then maybe, just maybe, the two of them would be able to be together. To be happy. To be in love, which is something Otis was already beginning to feel for her. He was already starting to fall in love with Rory and everything to do with her. He wasn't fully there, at least not yet, which made him think to himself... Maybe the easiest way for him to get over Rory, would be if he found someone else. And quickly, before he slid down that slope of being truly, and madly, in love with her.

🔔 Truck 81. Squad 3. Ambulance 61. Structure Fire 🔔

Pulling himself from his thoughts, Otis grabbed the axe he'd been pretending to clean while he stared at Rory, and threw it quickly back into the truck compartment before he climbed into his gear. He wasn't sure how he was going to go about finding someone else to help take his mind of Rory, not when he had zero luck with woman, but for now he'd put that problem aside and focus on doing his job.

The apartment building was thick with smoke by the time the companies arrived. Flames low around the windows, meaning the fire had most likely just started to grow. Many of the buildings tenants were already standing around outside, coughing and spluttering with a thick layer of soot covering their faces.