It wouldn't be long before we were making our final approach and landing back in Unity Island, where we were greeted by a small crowd of instructors. They gave us our last debrief for our T-38 flying.

"Firstly, I wanna say I'm extremely proud of you two and what you have been able to accomplish." Our lead instructor said. "The next course you will be flying in is going to be much harder and faster, and we had about a week to enjoy ourselves before the next course.

We had selected our aircraft of choice already, with Bucky going for the F-15 and myself for the F-16. During that week, Bucky and I studied the many manuals and procedures that were needed for the proficient and swift learning of our respective jets. The two of us did find time to relax, and of course, Andre would keep in touch with the both of us, sharing some more combat footage with us and showing us around the airbase. He had already put in a good word for us to come to his base, seeing as he had a bit of pull.

"You see, Jerome, The Eagle is the better jet thanks to its medium to long-range capabilities. Not to mention it held the record for the highest kill-to-death ratio for over 60 years." He said matter-of-factly.

"And the Viper has more kills period," I replied. "Just not the best ratio." We continued to rib each other about our pick, eventually coming to an agreement that both were good. "Well, we might not see each other for a while. You're gonna be busy, I'm gonna be busy."

"All good man, let's just enjoy the here and now." I knew he was right. As long as we had been here, he hadn't been wrong in his observations. That day was the last day we had to talk as the next day was to be the first flight in each of our respective aircraft of choice. It couldn't come soon enough.

The next day, before my first ride up, I tried to call my cousin, but for some reason, he didn't answer. I guessed it up to him most likely flying a sortie at the time and went on with the day. The briefing for the first hop was long, but it was necessary. This was to be our first time in the Viper, and we needed to know everything about it from tip to tail. One by one, we started to make our way to the flight line. There she sat, albeit a two-seater version. It will be called my aircraft for the next week or so. The F-16D. I was in the back while the instructor took the initial controls for takeoff. Once we got airborne, control was handed over to me.

"The sky is yours, pilot." She spoke. I gripped the sidestick, and to be honest, in that moment I felt the power behind the jet. However, I nearly overbanked the plan on my first turn. My instructor nearly whacked her head on the canopy from how fast I rolled the jet. She, of course, told me to go easy on the controls, which I soon did. It took a few minutes for me to get used to the controls, but once I did, it was almost like second nature. From loops to dives and a few too many g's for a first flight, it was one hell of a time. The last part of the flight was us taking the Viper over the speed of sound, and she accelerated much quicker than the Talons we flew before. It was like nothing I had ever experienced, and I loved every last moment of it.

After the debrief, I immediately called Andre to tell him about it, but again, no answer. I started to get a little worried. This wasn't like him, but I chalked it up to him just getting some much-needed rest for the next day. As I was leaving the flight ops building, I noticed a bunch of F-2s lining the flight line on the opposite apron. I hadn't seen one in person before, and it was a bit jarring to see how similar they were to the F-16. After a bit of fitness training, the other Viper pilots and I went to get some chow, and I tried my luck at calling Andre again. Still no answer.

Just as I was finishing up my food, my phone rang. For the first time, however, my face didn't light up into a smile. It was Andre's number, but the sudden pit in my stomach almost prevented me from answering the call. I separated myself from the group, telling them it was important. Once I made my way outside the mess hall, I answered the phone.