XIX

Eadrid stood in a dark blue gown, silver circlets over her hair.

The wind was not merciful that morning, as it tore through her dress and whipped Eadrid's hair around her face, taking her tears away as soon as they fell.

The sound of the tomb closing rang in her ears over and over.

She stood alone in front of her brother's tomb, while the rest of Rohan had taken their mourning back to Edoras.

Eadrid moved and sat near the entrance of the tomb.

She touched the flowers that covered the ground. Simbelmyne was its name, and Eadrid reminded herself that it would grow over her grave one day as well.

"I am so sorry, Theodred." Eadrid took in a shaky breath. "I am so sorry."

_____

In the Golden Hall, two children were being fed and clothed, who had just barely escaped their village to flee the orcs that were terrorizing Rohan. What remained of the Fellowship were sitting at one of the long wooden tables, food growing cold before them.

"They had no warning," Eowyn said to her as she comforted the children. "They were unarmed. Now the Wild Men are moving through the Westfold, burning as they go. Rick, cot, and tree."

"Where is Mama?" The little girl asked.

Eowyn only wrapped a blanket around her and held her shoulders.

Eadrid finished her ale and huffed at its empty bottom.

"This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash," Gandalf said. "All the more potent for he is driven now by fear of Sauron. Ride out and meet him head-on. Draw him away from your women and children." He placed a hand on the throne. "You must fight."

"You have two-thousand good men riding north as we speak," Aragorn argued. "Eomer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their king."

Theoden stood from his seat. "They will be three hundred leagues from here by now. Eomer cannot help us. I know what it is you want of me......but I will not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war." Theoden looked to Eadrid for agreement.

Gandalf and Aragorn looked at her. 

"Open war is upon you, whether you would risk it or not," Eadrid said bluntly. 

Theoden furrowed his brows, but stayed quiet.

"It is not what you wish to hear, father, but it is the truth."

Theoden nodded.

"Then what is the king's decision?" Gandalf pressed. 

_____

It was no use trying to argue with her father, Eadrid knew he would not abandon his decision.

"Helm's Deep." Eadrid huffed under breath as they followed Gandalf into the stables.

"They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight. Who will defend them if not their king?" Gimli asked.

Aragorn looked to Eadrid. "He's only doing what he thinks is best for your people. Helm's Deep has saved you in the past."

"There is no way out of that ravine. Theoden is walking into a trap." Gandalf said curtly. "He thinks he's leading them to safety. What they will get is a massacre. Theoden has a strong will, but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan." Gandalf turned to Aragorn. "He will need you before the end, Aragorn. The people of Rohan will need you. The defenses have to hold." Gandalf quickly met eyes with Eadrid, and she knew the words applied the same to her.