Chapter 9: Please Remember

Everything is silent.

Tanjiro is having a hard time to pick up a scent, everything is full of mist. They can only rely on Zenitsu who have a very good sense of hearing. Genya reloaded his nichirin shotgun and remained cautious. "HEY SHORTY. WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU'RE HIDING AT" Inosuke taunts the demon feeling determined to behead them. Thats Inosuke for you!

After Giyuu stepped back noticing something is off, Muichiro who was on top of a tree branch immediately striked. Giyuu managed to counter the ambush and threw Muichiro away with this sword. All the rest of the squad were ready to attack but Tanjiro and Genya remained a little devastated knowing they have to kill their friend. Muichiro then let out a powerful move. "Mist breathing, second form." Muichiro unleashed 8 powerful slashes but they were faster and more destructive. they hit the trees and building and cut them half like a tofu. The squad had to either dodge or block off the attack. Inosuke jumped fully dodging the attack, same thing with Kanao. Zenitsu moved to the side able to avoid a few slashes but some hit his haori damaging it. Tanjiro had to quickly use water breathing to deflect it while trying to defend Genya. 

"Muichiro, please! it us! don't you remember.?" Tanjiro trying to talk to Muichiro, he thought if Nezuko can be a good demon who will protect humans maybe there is a chance to break Muichiro out of Muzan's control. "Don't you remember the good days we spent? laughing, training together, eating some delicious food with Mitsuri... do you not remember?" Genya tried to help as well. Muichiro the suddenly felt weird. He started to remember everything the squad has said. Did he really hang out with them? does he know them? Muichiro put his hand on his head overwhelmed with his thoughts.. he is trying to remember.  Tanjiro tried to get closer but Muichiro snapped back and was going to strike. Giyuu jumped and grabbed Tanjiro from Muichiro's third form attack, it blew everyone away. 

The squad struggled in trying to find a way to safely get to the ground. Tanjiro performed a water technique to help him land, the rest saw it too and done the same. Giyuu just got on his feet without performing anything, he was a hashira after all and one of the strongest. He landed on his feet and tried to chase down Muichiro but he noticed Zenitsu and Genya needed help from falling so he quickly jumped really high and grabbed them. "Are all of you okay?" Giyuu asked concerned about the young slayers. "Yeah we're fine. thanks Giyuu" Genya replied to thank him him while Zenitsu yelled a thank you a lot while whining a little bit suprised that he is still alive after all that falling. The mist have started to fade away and now the squad can see the trees and even the sky. Tanjiro was able to pick up a scent and can no longer sense Muichiro. Zenitsu then heard running from a distance and slowly faded away. "I heard running.. it gone now" the squad now realized that Muichiro have gotten away.

"We need to report this to Oyakata-sama" Giyuu called for his crow, Kanzaburou. He informed everything to the crow and now it departed flying quickly to their master. The squad started to bury the dead villagers, all thanks to Inosuke. It was easy to bait him thinking it a game to dig many holes. Everyone stood together and showed respect, Inosuke was curious and done the same. 

Meanwhile,

Muichiro got as far as possible until he can finally sense a demon, it was Kokushibo who finished devouring a strong slayer, there were more bodies however and Kokushibo invited him in to feast. As the two sat down comfortably. Kokushibo was curious. "So tell me... how was your battle.. against those demon slayers?" Muichiro was suprised and wondered how did his grandfather knew. His grandfather was Upper Moon One for a reason after all so hes not suprised anymore now. "They are really familiar... but I don't remember them.. they even knew me and called me a friend.. I ended up retreating because so many thoughts are running through my head. Im sorry if I dissapointed you grandpa.." Muichiro looked down still holding his head with his hand trying to remember. Kokushibo then remembered his flashback with Yoriichi, he knew that feeling.  He placed his hand on top of Muichiro patting him. "Don't hold back next time." Muichiro nodded and continued to eat the dead slayers with Kokushibo.

After awhile Kokushibo and Muichiro had to go back to the infinity castle because now the sun is rising. They couldn't consume all of the dead slayers so they left them to be someone else's food. At the same time, meanwhile, The slayers finished investigating and ready to go back to their hideout. "Muichiro didn't seem to recognize us when he became a demon.." Tanjiro who is a little upset he couldn't reach his friend. "because if Nezuko remembered Im her big brother, then Muichiro can remember we are his friends.. He just needs to try to remember." The rest of the squad agreed on what Tanjiro said and continued to march on. Giyuu understands how everyone are feeling but.. he knew that Muichiro did kill humans.. meaning many innocent lives were taken away but he remained silent as he continued to march with the squad looking after them.