-2-

After signing the papers from the front desk, confirming my adoption of Zenitsu and flipping off the attendant who said Zenitsu was 'unstable' and 'shouldn't be trusted', I made my way home.

Knocking gently on the door twice, I waited for the returning three knocks. Upon hearing them, I smiled and pushed the door open. Nezuko all but attached herself to my leg as I shut the door behind me. Thankfully, it was low enough so she didn't press against those poisoned cuts.

"Flower, I brought you a friend," I cooed softly, gently patting Zenitsu awake as he had fallen asleep on the ride back. "Cuddle Bug, wakey wakey."

He grumbled, pouting at me tiredly when he opened his eyes. "Where am I?"

A shocked gasp left Nezuko, Zenitsu's head snapping to the sound. Tears immediately fell from both their eyes, Zenitsu thrashing in my grip as Nezuko clawed at my leg, desperately trying to reach Zenitsu. I stifled my hiss as her nails skimmed over my leg, placing Zenitsu down gently, smiling contently when they crashed into each other's arms and started bawling.

I silently made my way to the bathroom, filling the tub with lukewarm water and some bubbles before leaving and entering the kitchen. I opened two packs of meat, slicing it up into small cubes for the smaller demons. Placing the meat in separate bowls, I peeked my head around the corner to see the status of my two kiddos.

Zenitsu's gaze was already on me, causing me to give him a small smile. Nezuko looked behind her curiously, humming when she saw me. Said girl ran up to me, making grabby hands.

Picking her up and placing her on my hip, I asked, "Yes, Flower?"

"Th-thank... Thank y-you!" She spoke shyly, my eyes widening in shock at her words. She hasn't said anything in the last year I've had her...

I heard her worried hums before I felt the wetness on my cheeks. Her small hands frantically tried to wipe the tears that fell from my eyes. I cleared my throat, turning my face away from her as I wiped my own tears. I returned my soft gaze to her. "Of course, Flower. I'm hoping to bring more people home soon, too."

"Why did you cry?" Zenitsu wondered aloud, out of pure curiosity.

"Ah, Nezuko hasn't actually spoken in about a year..." I answered, still smiling at the girl in my arms. I felt Nezuko wiggle, signifying she wanted to be put down, so I released her. "Oh, I have food for you two, let me go get it. Then after, I'll show you to the bath, Zenitsu."

"Bath?" Zenitsu drawled, shaking his head.

"Zenitsu, you need to bathe. You can be alone, I'll put your new clothes in there before you get in so you have privacy." I tutted. He pouted, giving Nezuko a sad look. In turn, Nezuko looked at me with puppy dog eyes. "No, Flower. He needs to bathe."

And with that, I returned to the kitchen and fetched the meat for the two youngsters. Placing the bowls in front of them, Nezuko instantly dug in, her true demon form coming out as she did so. I've always loved her full demon form, it was truly a masterpiece. Her small horn grew, small vine-like patterns forming along her skin, spider-like cracks dancing around her left eye, and her usual circular pupils turned to slits.

I heard Zenitsu's breath of awe, seeing him staring at Nezuko with heart eyes. I turned my attention to him. "Is this new?"

"Very." He answered, looking to his own bowl, but not eating.

"It's not poisoned." I offered, receiving a deadpanned look from him.

"Obviously. I'd smell it." He shot, making me raise my hands in defeat.

"Fair enough." I chuckled. "Why aren't you eating then?"

"...I don't want you to see my full form." He replied hesitantly.

"Why not? I'm sure it's pretty."

"Quite the opposite," he sighed.

I raised a brow, Nezuko looking at him sadly and resting her head on his shoulder. I smiled at the action. "Have you ever seen it, or are you just listening to others opinions?"

"I..." He sighed, slowly eating the meat. I watched in interest as his features changed. His hair started to stick out a bit spiky-er, and small, vibrant lightning patterns appeared on his arms, legs, neck; probably everywhere. His eyes also started glowing a pretty blue.

(A/N: imagine that the braid is in the pic too)

"P... Pretty!" Nezuko exclaimed, hugging Zenitsu. I saw him tense before tears formed in his eyes again, returning the hug tightly.

I watched, pleased. "So, lightning?"

Zenitsu nodded, pulling away from the hug and continuing with his food. "Originally it was really weak, but the people there had their way to get us to... obey them."

My gaze hardened at his statement, clenching my fists tightly. I calmly walked over to him, rubbing his head gently. "I promise, you'll never have to go through that again."

Zenitsu's wide, tear-filled, amber eyes met mine before I was knocked back slightly when he launched himself at me. I sat on the ground next to Nezuko who watched the scene in sadness. I rubbed a hand soothingly on Zenitsu's back, successfully stopping the sobs that racked through his body.

"Do you mind taking a bath now? I think I would help soothe you." I spoke softly, standing when I got a small nod.

I carried him to the bathroom, showing him how everything worked, where to find the towels, what's shampoo, conditioner, and body wash, and where his new clothes would be located. As I went to leave, I heard him whine lowly.

"Yes, Cuddle Bug?"

"Could you... help me undo my braid?"

I smiled. "Of course!"

I had to cut the hair tie out because of how matted his hair was, then gently comb through any of the knots before his hair was completely out of the braid. I was shocked, it was down to his mid back.

"I'm impressed, you've got longer hair than me." I teased, chuckling when he turned his head away in a pout. I left the brush on the counter, calling behind me as I walked out. "Take as long as you need. I'll be in the living room with Nezuko if you need me."

I saw him nod from my peripherals, and almost as soon as I shut the door, I heard the lock click in place. I smiled, walking into the living room where I found Nezuko going through some of my paperwork.

"Flower, are you snooping?" I teased, seeming to startle the girl.

"N-no!" She denied, pulling me over and pointing to a specific photo. "T-that's... Onii-chan!"

I looked at the picture. Psych-Ward... Tanjiro: protective, defensive, really only listened to his sister. Age: 10. I sighed, patting her head. "I'll try to get him as soon as possible."

Nezuko wrapped herself around my body, humming in a thankful manner. I made sure she stayed clear of my legs, but returned her embrace nonetheless.