Chapter two - The Let Down (Kiley POV)

A/N: NOT EDITED.

Chapter two – The Let Down (Kiley POV)

 "Your mate will be an important part of your life Kiley, not the whole part, but he or she will be a missing piece of your overall puzzle. Someone that you will treasure, that will treasure you."

Seven years old, that is when I can say that I started really thinking about who my mate was... it was when I was at the first wedding on the island watching two people, mates look at each other like nothing else mattered, promising to love each other. "Is that like you and daddy?" I had asked my mom, finally drawing out the meaning of what all the happiness and fuss was about.

Fast word seven years and now, all the dreams I had about my own wedding, well I could see myself losing piece after piece. Justine sat across from me sobbing, when I was the one hurt. When I was the one that had to watch her with my mate. I had never once thought of my sister as selfish, we were close with one another, but now, we seemed at opposite ends of the family spectrum.

"Yoo hooo, Helen, Justine, I finally finished the veil for your dress-" Hunters mother – Torrie – came into the house, her smile blinding, but falling quickly when she took one glance at Justine and her brown eyes like Hunters widened.

"What's wrong?" she asked worriedly, scampering over to Justine, probably missing all together that my mother was not trying to comfort Justine. Instead she placed the veil on the middle table taking Justine's hand, while giving her son worried looks.

"Justine and Hunter aren't true mates," my father said the words monotone.

Torrie looked confused, between Justine and Hunter, then back to my parents... "Of... course... they are," she whispered out.

"Right Hunter?" her eyes darting to the veil that was to be worn in five months by Justine, at the wedding, Mom and Torrie herself were planning eagerly.

"Hunter?" she asked again when her son didn't respond the first time.

"He's my mate," I said with a sigh, and even though I hadn't put much of a possessive tone on the words, Justine hissed at my words. But that only made me angry, "I don't want Hunter Justine, but he's always going to want me..." Torrie gasped at my blunt words.

"You – you're Hunters true mate?" she stammered and she moved a bit away from Justine, probably now understanding why my mother wasn't comforting Justine now. I didn't understand how hard this was for anyone else, but it couldn't be easy.

"Yes, but he loved Justine, so they lied and since they didn't find their mate when they had their first shift, they chose each other," I answered dryly.

"But – you're a Beta," she turned to Hunter, her eyes watery. "You're always – you'll always feel connected to Kiley," she moaned pitifully, shaking her head. "How – did you even consider – how could you children lie to us all like this?"

Justine started crying once again, her tears falling silently, "You aren't mates... for all we know... your little brother Heath could be Justine's mate," she shook her head not glancing at the two who deceived us.

"What kind of example are you all setting for Denver, Heath and Priscilla?" her question was meant for Hunter I'm sure seeing as they were his siblings.

"What happens now?" Torrie asked after the silence began to strangle everyone in the room. In a moment of panic, Justine tensed.

"I don't want Hunter. I don't want you," I told him sadly, "but you're going to spend the rest of your life regretting your decision. I'm going to meet someone else eventually; someone that's going to do for me all the things you wish was you. You're going to try and fight it, but I will always be on your mind no matter how much love you have for Justine." I shook my head.

"The same love that brought you together, it won't be enough, not with all the stories mom told us... You might just see me as her little annoying sister, but I'm your true mate Hunter, you have Beta blood which means, even when you fight it, if you have to choose who you'd protect... who your wolf would want to save, it'll always be me."

"Even just now... she's crying, but you can't drive yourself to even hold her hand," I looked at the two of them, my sister and my mate, "I can't hear your thoughts, but I'm sure your wolf is berating you for your choice and in the end that still hurts because Justine is the one that's going to have to always be second best. I don't even want you, I've accepted your rejection, but you can't even hold her hand without thinking about how it's going to hurt me, not how it's going to hurt Justine," I shook my head.

My words had a bit of fire on them, but after they were out, after I had nothing left to stand behind and hide my inner pain, I stood leaving them all behind me. Rushing to the door, I made a quick exit; I wouldn't let them see my cry. 

——-

© 2015 new_season All Rights Reserved