Phone Box

"I'm so over this shit." Lana whisper-shouts as she locks the doors behind her, then walking away. Her fingers craving warmth in the cold air ball up into a fist in her sweaters pocket. She walks a few blocks until she gets to the alleyway she crosses everyday to get home and walks in.
"Ugh this alley gets creepier every-time I walk in it" Lana groans while she gets to the end of the alley.

"Dude can you please just pick me up?" A soft voice says. Lana looks over to see a boy at the city phone box, stressed out. He slams down the phone into the receiver and covers his face with his hands. Lana walks over, hesitating.
"You okay.?" Lana says softly tapping the boy.
He gets startled at the sudden tap.
"Yeah.. I'm fine." He says moving his brown hair out of his face and looking at Lana. "What's your name?" He asks, pulling himself together.
"Lana." She says softly, then asking him the same. "Jonathan." He says smiling. "Do you go to Highland Highschool?" Lana asks, recognizing  his face. "Yeah I do" Jonathan responds "Do you?" He asks. "Me to! I recognize your face" Lana says. Jonathan suddenly got flustered. "Is that a good thing.?" Jonathan laughs a bit
"Very good thing." Lana says smiling at Jonathan. Jonathan smiles back happily.
"This might be weird, but can I hangout with you tonight?" Lana asks awkwardly but Jonathans face lights up. "Sure! I'm just hanging out here honestly" Jonathan says.

Jonathan and Lana sit on the floor behind a McDonald's. Jonathan pulls out a box of cigarettes and a lighter, he puts one in his mouth and lights it. The wind keeps blowing out the fire and it stresses out Jonathan.

"Here." Lana says, putting her hand next to the flame to cover it from the wind. Jonathan finally lights it. "Want one?" Jonathan hands the box to Lana as she grabs one and lights it.

Lana and Jonathan sit on the floor behind a McDonald's getting to know each other in the chilly, windy weather. A hour passes and there still talking.

"I hate school, it really hate it. Every morning I have to mentally prepare myself for all the shit that happens to me while I'm there." Lana exclaims, holding her red bruised knees.
"Everyday I get harassed and hated on by everyone. I don't understand what's wrong with me.." Lana cries. Jonathan gets worried about her, not wanting her to cry.
"I understand exactly how it feels.." Jonathan says in a low tone. Lana picks up her head and looks at Jonathan sadly. "I feel like nobody can help me. Nobody will help me." Jonathan says, clearly trying to hold back tears. Lana scoots closer to Jonathan and lays her head on his warm shoulder, grabbing his hands and rubbing them with her cold thin thumbs. Jonathan starts crying quietly. They sit there, holding each other for a few minutes and soaking in each others emotions. Lana picks up her head and looks at Jonathan's teary eyes.
"I think you just became my best friend." Lana says. Jonathan let's out a smile and a tiny, happy laugh and so does Lana. "We need to stick with other, okay?" Jonathan says looking Lana in her pretty brown eyes. "Okay, I promise." Lana smiles, putting her head back onto Jonathan's shoulder.

The next day at 10AM

"Where were you last night Lana? You were gone all night." Lana's mother says.
"I was walking home from work until I met this guy." Lana exclaimed happily. Lana's mother suddenly got serious "Guy? How old is this guy?" Her mom asks "He goes to my school, we're the same age." Lana says looking at her mom.
"Oh.. well as long as you were safe I'm okay with it." Her mother says, walking into her room.
Lana walks over to her kitchen table and sets her bowl of fruit loops down.

*ring ring*

Lana gets caught off guard by the phone ringing and puts her spoon down as she gets up and walks to the phone. Lana picks the phone up off the receiver "Hello?" Lana says. "Hi. It's Jonathan." Jonathan says across the phone line.
Lana's face lights up "Hi! What are you calling for?" Lana asks happily. "I was wondering if you wanna hangout?" Jonathan asks Lana
"Sure! You can come over to my house?" Lana tells Jonathan. "Okay! I'll be there around 1?" Jonathan says "Sounds good" Lana says, setting down the phone. Lana happily squeals like a child and sits back down to eat her cereal.

1:08pm

*Knock knock*

Lana jumps up off her bed and sets her magazine down, running to the door. Lana opens the door.
"Hi Jonathan." Lana says, smiling. Jonathan smiles back. "Hi Lana, I remember that you said something about liking Kerrang? I got you one on my way here." Jonathan says, handing Lana a Kerrang! magazine. Lana hugs Jonathan in thanks. "Thank you! Come on." Lana says as her and Jonathan walk to her room. They get in her room and sit on her bed. Jonathan sits near the edge. They open the magazine and look around it, flipping pages.
"Oh cool a Duran Duran poster." Jonathan says excitedly. "I love Duran Duran." Lana says, carefully pulling it out. Lana hops off her bed with the poster and finds a spot on her full walls to put it up. "Can you grab the thumbtacks right there on my dresser?" Lana asks, pointing to them. Jonathan grabs them and hands one to her. Lana puts it up successfully and gets back on her bed with Jonathan. "Your room is do cool, you have really good music taste." Jonathan tells Lana "Thanks!" Lana says smiling. "Do you wanna stay the night?" Lana asks Jonathan as she grabs a throw blanket and wraps it around her cold body. "Sure" Jonathan says smiling.

8:37pm

"Do you like your parents?" Jonathan asks, laying across Lana's bed and staring at the wall.
"My mom, yes. But my dad.. not really" Lana says, laying next to Jonathan. "My dads a big alcoholic and always has been. Plus he is just a shitty dad." Lana exclaims. "I'm sorry about that Lana.." Jonathan says looking over at her.
"Do you like your parents?" Lana asks Jonathan.
His face dims. "Yeah.. no.. it's complicated." Jonathan says. "I love them I always will.. but I hate them. If that makes sense" Jonathan says in a low tone. Lana snuggles on Jonathan. "Especially my step mom, I hate that bitch. But I've never been able to escape her. She treats me like shit and just.. mentally and sometimes physically hurts me." Jonathan says. Lana felt her heart sink, she felt so sorry for Jonathan.
"Jonathan, I'm here for you whenever you need me. You can escape from her if you come here okay?" Lana says looking at Jonathan's eyes.
"Really?" Jonathan says sounding confused. "Of course! Jonathan you can come here whenever you want, I'll stop whatever I'm doing to help you or just hangout with you." Lana exclaims, holding Jonathan's cheek. Jonathan hugs Lana and holds her head gently. "I never thought I'd have a friend like you." Jonathan says quietly. "Well you do now." Lana says as Jonathan holds her.
Jonathan grabs a blanket and puts it over them, and they fall asleep holding each other.