1. pretty sure i could grow up

Start from the beginning

I bite my bottom lip, thinking about the girl I wrote this song about, a girl who was my best friend, but stopped talking to me, "Just an old friend from freshman year of high school."

We reach Carver-Hawkeye Arena in no time, getting inside quickly as well. As we walk through people to get to our seats, I'm holding onto Florence's hand tightly. I'm not one to be super shy, but somehow, I have literally never been in this arena and I don't plan on getting lost right now.

"I think you broke my hand," Florence says when we get to our seats and I give her a bit of a dirty look, teasingly of course, but still.

"Whatever, I did not," I tell her as we sit down, "Who are we playing?"

Keegan looks at me, "Illinois State," he says and I give him a nod, messing with the ring on my thumb. I watch our girls as they shoot around on the court, waiting for the game to start, and when it finally comes time for it, the five starters take off their warm-up shirts.

In the group they're huddled in, I see a familiar face. Who could that be? She turns around to sit on the bench, waiting for their names to be called, "Who is number 20?" I ask Florence and Keegan also looks my way.

"Oh, that's Kate Martin," she says and my heart literally drops. I swear to God, I could hear it hit the ground.

Kate. Fucking. Martin.

"Holy shit," I mutter, running my hand over my face. I was not expecting my ex-best friend to be here. How the fuck did I not know she played for Iowa? Probably because I've never been to a game and don't pay attention to shit about sports. I always knew she wanted to play here, but I had no clue she chose this school. This is just great.

After the game, I notice Keegan making his way to the floor. He knows most of the girls, him and Florence are friends with them. Oh God, oh God, oh God, I repeat to myself as I follow Florence and Keegan, holding Florence's hand again.

"Tell me when Kate is past us," I whisper, turning toward the bleachers so I can't make eye contact with Kate. Florence puts her hand on my back, probably confused as ever.

"Good job, Martin," I hear Keegan say.

I know she smiles, "Thanks, Kee," she replies and Florence taps my back as if to say she's gone. When I look up, out of the corner of my eye, I see her turn her head so she's facing in the direction she's walking. There's no way she didn't see me. Fuck.

"Hey, Flo," I hear another voice say.

Florence smiles, "What's up, Caitlin? Good job tonight."

"Thanks," the girl, Caitlin, says, dapping up Keegan. Her eyes land on me, "Don't think I've met you," the girl chuckles, "I'm Caitlin Clark," she says, holding her hand out.

I shake her hand, "You haven't. I'm Freya Rogers," I tell her with a smile. The girl has to leave and I continue to meet every girl that Keegan talks to.

I cannot believe Kate is here.

[freyarogers]: caitlinclark22 started following you!
[freyarogers]: monika_czinano started following you!
[freyarogers]: katemartin03 started following you!

freyarogers

liked by _keeganmurray and othersfreyarogers, flo and keegan took me to my first ever college basketball game so here's the fit and a pic of bowie :)tagged, florencesamuelsofficial  _keeganmurray

freyarogers, flo and keegan took me to my first ever college basketball game so here's the fit and a pic of bowie :)
tagged, florencesamuelsofficial _keeganmurray

view comments. . .

freyarogers, krismurray__ wish you didn't bail buddy 👍🏻
📌 pinned

caitlinclark22, your dog is so cute
— freyarogers, bowie appreciates that caitlin

username1, is ur school not known for its basketball??? literally how have you never been to one-

username2, more music when?

monika_czinano, stealing ur dog (we barely know each other)
— freyarogers, i'll give u visitation... 🤨 (it's okay)
— monika_czinano, deal (i love u already)

sydney.affolter, ur music is so good!! i listen to it all the time :)
— freyarogers, tysm!

username3, she's so gorgeous

florencesamuelsofficial, my child
— freyarogers, hi mom !! :)

casrogers, you've never been to a basketball game wOahhhh
— freyarogers, caspian.

katemartin03, ur dog >>
comment deleted by freyarogers

authors note
babe was STRESSING this chapter