rainy day

Minji woke up to the sound of pouring rain early in the morning. She sat up and stretched her arms, pulling her curtains open. Large water droplets fell from the sky, splattering onto the pavement below.

A sole figure sat in the middle of the yard, face upturned and arms outstretched.

Minji pushed her window open, shivering when a gust of cold air hit her face. 'Yoohyeon!' She shouted, hoping that her voice would carry as far as she needed it to. Her best friend had her back turned towards her, and did not raise her head nor move even a single bit upon hearing Minji calling her name.

She barely thought twice before dashing into the downpour, swiftly hopping over the fence that separated their houses. 'Yoohyeon! What are you doing?'

'I'm listening,' the younger girl replied simply.

'To what?'

Yoohyeon shushed her. 'The sound of rain. Isn't it lovely?'

'Yeah, yeah. Now get back inside before you catch a cold,' Minji deadpanned, ushering the younger girl into her house. Once they were safely indoors, she ordered Yoohyeon to sit down and wait in her room while she poured her a warm glass of milk. She carefully set the glass on the table, glancing up to find the younger girl watching her with a small smile. 'Aww, is that for me?' Yoohyeon asked.

'No, it's for me,' Minji mocked, rolling her eyes. 'Of course it's for you, stupid.'

'Wow, thanks,'

Minji smacked her in the arm. 'Shut up,' she fussed, tossing Yoohyeon a fresh pair of clothes. 'That shirt might be a bit small on you, but it'll have to do. Your clothes are dripping wet.'

'You're not my mom. I know how to take care of myself,' Yoohyeon protested, but still got changed nonetheless.

'No, you don't,' Minji interjected, scoffing when the younger girl sneezed. 'See? What were you even thinking? It's horrid out there!'

'I'm not sick! I'm just allergic to...' Yoohyeon's eyes wandered around Minji's room until they finally landed on the small white Pomeranian sleeping in the corner. 'Dogs.'

Minji snorted. 'You own a dog.'

'I know, but...' Yoohyeon trailed off. She scowled at Minji before grumbling, 'You win.' She sat back, sulking, and Minji almost cooed at how adorable she looked.

'You know, if you wanted me to leave you could have just told me,' she huffed, frowning at Yoohyeon.

She had to suppress a laugh once she saw how horrified Yoohyeon looked. 'Wait, that's not what I meant!' The younger girl panicked, grabbing her hands. 'Minji, wait, I'm so sorry-'

The older girl laughed. 'Relax, Yooh, I was just joking,'

Relief rushed onto Yoohyeon's face. 'You're annoying.' She glared at Minji, but no matter how hard she tried to look intimidating, Minji only found her cute. 'But you like it,' Minji winked at her.

'I do,' Yoohyeon replied softly. There was a moment of silence before she spoke up again, hesitantly, 'What about you?'

'What about me?'

Yoohyeon gestured at her clothes, then down at the puddle that was forming on the carpet beneath her feet. 'You're gonna catch a cold as well...'

It took Minji a few seconds to realise what she meant. 'Oh, right,' she said, already pulling her shirt over her head.

'Jesus,' Yoohyeon turned away in a flash, clearing her throat loudly. 'A warning would have been nice, thank you.'

'Why? It's not like it's your first time seeing me without a shirt,' Minji teased, pulling the rest of her shirt off. The younger girl had scooted all the way to the far end of the bed, and Minji joined her, intertwining their arms easily as she hugged her from behind. 'Aww, do I make you nervous?'