𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒖𝒎𝒎𝒆𝒓 𝒂𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒓

Start from the beginning

~
I arrive back at my mansion, with plans already made to meet up with Damon later. Apparently, it's Elena's birthday so he invited me to that as well.

Not sure why he thought I'd come considering I tried to get her killed but whatever.

William meets me at my door, ready to take my luggage. "Miss Petrova," he grins, "how was your trip?"

"It was great," I smile back.

"There's someone waiting for you in your living room," he tells me.

I furrow my brows, asking, "who?"

"Damon Salvatore."

"Damon?" I question as I walk over to my living room.

And there he is, standing there holding a drink. "Hey," I smile, "we were supposed to meet up at the grill."

"Yeah, but I couldn't wait," he wraps an arm around me, encasing me in a hug. "How was your trip?"

"Well, it was with Katerina so I'll let you guess," I laugh.

"So more like a prison?"

"At some points," I chuckle, "anyway, so you and Elena?"

"What? I have no idea what you're talking about."

I roll my eyes, "come on. You're letting her have her birthday party at your house."

He shrugs, "I like to party too. And isn't that necklace you're wearing a gift from Klaus?"

I narrow my eyes at him as I tuck the necklace into my shirt and shrug, "It's a cute necklace. Has nothing to do with Klaus."

"Has he still been contacting you?" he asks.

I nod, "every time he and Stefan make a new move, I'm the first to find out. Along with getting a new gift from him."

Damon's face darkens as he listens to my response. "That guy's obsession with you is getting old."

I take a sip of his drink and lean against a nearby table. "Tell me about it. But he's been helpful in keeping me in the loop about their plans."

Damon sighs. "Well, at least you're making it work. So, how have you been? Anything else exciting while you were away?"

I glance around the room, noticing a painting I've never seen before on the wall. "Just the usual immortality stuff. You know, arguing with Katerina and sipping cocktails in the sun. Speaking of which, do I have any bourbon around?"

Damon smirks and fetches a bottle of bourbon and two more glasses. "Now, that's more like it. I missed having you around, Audrey. Things are way too serious without you."

I accept a glass of bourbon, clinking it with Damon's. "Well, I'm back now. Let's bring a little fun back into this mess of a life."

As we continue to chat and catch up, it's clear that my return has injected some much-needed energy and levity into Damon's world. We reminisce about old times and make plans to visit Elena's party, although I can't help but wonder how she'll react to my presence after everything that's happened.

After Damon leaves, I walk up to the mysterious painting and further analyze it. And I realize that Klaus put this here. I don't know when or how but I just know he did.

~

The idea of attending Elena's party fills me with both anticipation and apprehension. I take a moment to consider my presence there and the potential tensions that might arise. "Damon, are you sure it's a good idea for me to come to the party? I don't want to cause any unnecessary drama."