Reunion (Kokushibo x F!reader)

Silence. A melody Kokushibo had long grown used to. In fact, he enjoyed it, even if at times it made him think of the past. Of his brother Yoriichi, of his jealousy, of his wife, and of his descendants. Memories of his long-lost humanity. Worthless memories. The Upper Moon One grunted as he looked up at the clear night sky. It was useless to remember those things now. The past wasn't going to return. Not that he wanted it to do so.

"Michikatsu?"

(Name)'s voice rang in his brain. The voice of his wife, a voice he didn't expect to hear again, His mood turned sour; he shouldn't be thinking of old thoughts and feelings. He got up, ready to leave. To his surprise, someone grabbed the sleeve of his kimono. Kokushibo turned to see who dared touch him. A pair of (e/c) eyes met his, Kokushibo's six eyes narrowing in annoyance. She was a demon like him but of lower rank. He didn't have time to waste, even less with weaklings.

"I apologize." She muttered, her eyes showing a hint of disappointment at the demon's coldness. A disappointment that seemed baseless to the demon. That's when he noticed. That voice was familiar.

"(Name)?" Kokushibo asked, his face slightly softening. No, he must be mistaken. It was impossible. It had been almost four hundred years; his wife couldn't be alive. The Upper Moon One removed her hand from his sleeve, putting his feelings aside. He should leave now; he was wasting time. As the Upper Moon started walking again, her voice echoed in the forest.

"Please wait, Michikatsu!" Her voice pleaded.

That name. A name he had long dismissed was being used to refer to him once again. The wind breeze moved their hair, making (Name)'s features visible in the moonlight. As much as Kokushibo didn't want to believe it was possible, there was no mistake. His wife was there.

"You are wasting your time."

His voice rang back as he disappeared in the darkness. Kokushibo had missed her, yes, but she was also a reminder of his human life. A reminder of his weakness and the life that he had left behind.

(Name) looked at where he stood a few seconds ago. Even after Kokushibo left her and their kids, she had been searching for him. She even turned into a demon four hundred years ago after hearing about a demon that matched Michikatsu's appearance. Her life after his departure had been fully focused on one thing: finding him.

"I just want to talk..." (Name) mumbled to herself, still looking at the place where Kokushibo was.

——————————————————————————

As much as the strongest Upper Moon wanted to stop thinking about the encounter with his wife, he couldn't. The memories of their time spent together kept coming back, much to his annoyance. Those useless feelings filling his mind.

"(Name)..." He whispered as he kept walking around the forest. The demon kept walking, trying to find comfort in nature. Only the forest and the loneliness could soothe his soul at times like that. He rested his hand on the hilt of his katana as he gazed at the night sky. The memory of (Name)'s was now engraved in his mind, as much as he wanted it to disappear.

The peace didn't last long. A fight could be heard in the distance, the clash of metal resonating in the air. Kokushibo got closer, a mixture of curiosity and hope of finding a strong opponent to distract himself filling him. His steps were quiet, not wanting the other party to notice his presence. That's when he saw it. (Name) was fighting with a Hashira.

(Name)'s movements were sloppy. Weak. Inexperienced. The way she held her katana and her posture were wrong. It was a surprise how she remained alive for so long with such a lack of basic fighting knowledge.

Kokushibo felt his chest burn as he heard her pained screams. He shouldn't care about an inferior being. So why did his chest ache as he watched the pain on her features? Why did seeing her wounds and the blood dripping on the ground make his eyes narrow in anger? Why did he care? It was only a matter of time before she was defeated. And then he could go back to his usual life. No more memories of her. Of them. Of the past.

(Name) could feel the blade of the Hashira's katana in her neck. It was over. She wasn't able to talk to Michikatsu at the end. To understand why he left her and their kids. "If only I was stronger." She thought, closing her eyes. Ready to met her end.

Then, a loud thud. (Name) opened her eyes, just to find the Hashira laying on the ground. A poodle of blood underneath him. It was not until she saw Kokushibo next to her that she understood what had happened.

"..."

Kokushibo wasn't a man of words, so he said nothing. His six eyes were soon fixed on her, watching her wounds. If Kokushibo still had something in him of the man she used to know, she could swear his gaze was softer. Loving, even.

"Kokushibo." He leaned closer, his thumb caressing the wound on her cheek. It took a few seconds before it regenerated, with his touch still lingering until it fully healed. "My demon name."

His strong arms wrapped around her, bringing her closer to his body. (Name) was a reminder of his humanity. A lovely reminder, even if he didn't want to admit so. Kokushibo buried his face in her hair, enjoying her warmth. As he breathed in her scent, his muscles relaxed.

(Name) was a weakness. The only weakness he was willing to allow back into his life.