| 33. FIRST DAY |

Start from the beginning

He smiled as he looked at me over his shoulder, settling my nerves from assuming he would be offended by the question.

"Marques. And no worries, I don't think I properly introduced myself. Either that or I forgot myself." He walked past me again, but motioned for me to follow him as he headed towards the reception desk. "For now, would you mind just sorting these applications by date? Newest in the back, oldest in the front. Throw out any non-completed ones. We only like completers, never almost-ers." He chuckled to himself at the cheesy joke.

I let out a breathy exhale through my nose, slightly uncomfortable, but then stiffened back up.

"Wait applications? Like for jobs or to get in this place? We never filled one out for either." I picked up one of the papers, scanning it briefly. It looked so formal, official, and definitely for approval to live here. How did people come to apply anyway? It wasn't like there was any kind of mailing service. At least not any mailing service I had ever heard of.

He took a deep breath. "Not everyone has to. Though, without a referral from one of our recruits, you have to fill one out. So some will come from states over, only to be denied. Unfortunate tale told too many times." He sighed briefly but then resumed his cheery tone. "What an excitement it is to let them know they are accepted, though! The ones who want it the most are the ones who check up on their application frequently up front with the entrance guards. We like to take that into account, too, although it's not the most important thing obviously."

"Recruits? How were Harry and I recruited? I don't remember that part." My brows furrowed in thought. Was the girl Alayna had come to Uncle Dan's with a recruit? That was the only name we mentioned, and we didn't even mention a last name. And how would she have known our last names? Or Harry's name at all?

"Must have been or else you'd be on the waitlist just like that pile right there. Recruits must also add your name to a list for the guards to have access to, or some kind of verbal notice. Maybe whoever the recruit was just took an eye to you two." He smirked, nudging me with his elbow. I let out a soft hum and smile, concealing my discomfort the best I could.

She never even saw me, though.

"Anyway–I'll be back and forth throughout the day if you need me. Let me know when you're finished and just bring it upstairs for me. I'll clear an empty spot for it."

I nodded my head as he exited through the wooden swinging door. Then, over his shoulder he said, "Let me know if you see any good ones. I could use a good perspective on some of these people. I'm not always the best decision maker." He shrugged his shoulders, laughing loudly, and then continued up the spiral staircase.

Whatever that meant.

     I never had a job before, like a real job

I never had a job before, like a real job. The kind of job my mom had before everything happened. I was able to remember fragments of childhood where she would get my lunch ready for school as she multitasked a slew of other responsibilities. Half the time she would still be applying her makeup as she drove me to school.