1: welcome to new york

Comincia dall'inizio

"Actually yes, he is. Why wouldn't he want to be there?"

He didn't answer my question but he did go off about how he never really liked it when I hung out with Bucky even though it was always in a group setting. "You know what, that Barnes guy, he's trouble, you shouldn't hang around him."

"What do you mean by that? I've hung around him for most of my life. I'm not just gonna drop him on a dime, babe. And that's Sargent Barnes for your information."

"Oh, that's great. I don't care. He's a no good mother fucker who-"

There was a knock on the door to break his rant, thank god. I opened the door to see Steve and Bucky waiting for us. All of us went to the Stark expo to have a good time.

When we got there, two girls waved at Bucky, calling us over. It was my best friends, Mary and Libby. I haven't seen them since I got engaged. It was all too awkward for us girls but I was happy to see them again.

The six of us walked around seeing everything the expo had to offer. Howard Stark thought he had made a breakthrough in flying cars, the wheels broke off and he made a joke saving face. Technology will be a miracle one day in the future.

"Hey, Steve, John, what do you say we treat the girls-" Bucky started off but quickly learned he was only talking to John. "I'll be right back, all right?"

He walked off to find Steve. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to enlist himself in the army again. He's told me ever since the war started that he wanted to be like dad and serve for the country. It's an admirable thing and I respect it. I just don't want him to get hurt at least and at most killed.

"Autumn, how've you been lately? I'm sorry we haven't talked in a while," Libby said.

"Oh, I've been good, mostly. Just trying to keep busy with my nursing duties. I'm actually heading out tomorrow also. My boss gave me the order last night."

Her and Mary held their mouths open in shock. First they haven't really seen me in the last two years and when I do, I drop the bombshell of the news that I'm leaving too.

"My goodness, Autumn! I'm so happy for you, come home safely, please. We'll have to catch up when you get back," Mary said.

I gave the girls a warm smile and promised I'd come back straight to them. When I looked back at John, he had found a bar close by and was drinking again, and flirting with a stranger. All the confirmation I needed to leave for England whether he likes it or not.

Bucky came back alone and told me only that Steve was trying to get in the army again, apparently it was his fifth attempt this time. He's consistent, a wonderful and horrible Rogers family trait.

I knew John wasn't paying me any attention so I just said my goodbyes to the girls and Bucky and headed home. John would come home sooner or later.

Surprisingly enough he got home before midnight, while I was packing my clothes. He kept going on about how I needed to stay and 'be a good housewife'. How could I do that when I'm not even his wife?

The argument had ensued. Both of our tempers were high and he was drunk off his ass while I was packing to leave. Being an on site nurse for the army meant I had to go to England with everyone. And he didn't like it.

"John, just stop. I have to go, it's my job. What's wrong with me wanting to do that?"

He kept putting my folded clothes that were in my suitcase back into the shared closet. "You can't leave. I'm the man of the house. What I say goes, do you hear me," he said as he raised his voice louder and louder.

I could've sworn he was about to throw the bottle of whiskey at me next if I attempted to say something.

"And I'm the woman of the house, John Emmons. You are not allowed to boss me around like this. I am a person for god's sake!"