Part 7

Gwen's POV

I walked quickly through the crowd, not stopping for anyone or anything. 

My face burned from embarrasment, and I could hear the whispers floating around me - Brooklyn Visions was a hotspot for gossip. Any little mishap, any slip-up - and it's guranteed the whole school will hear about it.

I pressed my lips together and swallowed, trying my hardest to stop the tears gathering at the corners of my eyes from flowing.

Ugh, I hate crying. 

Stop it, Gwen. It doesn't matter. It's fine.

He just yelled at me.

But he said everything was fine, right? Why am I even hurt?

.

.

.

You know the routine, Gwen. Just push it down and act like it never happened.

But for some reason, today, I couldn't just push it down.

So much had already happened this morning, and this just felt like the breaking point.

After waking up to a surprise! growth spurt, I realized that all of my uniform was a size too small, and I was going to spend the rest of the week in tight, small clothes. 

Yay.

So I walked out of my dorm room, nervous and self-conscious, knowing full well that every girl was judging me for how my uniform was and every boy was basically checking me out. No matter how uncomfortable I looked.

I was having a horrible day, and right around the time Miles bumped into me, two guys had already yelled 'GYAT!' from behind me and ran away; and a group of girls commented on how tight my uniform was, as if I didn't already know.

'oH gWeNdY! nIcE oUtFiT YoU gOt ThErE...bUt, IsN't It A bIt SmAlL?'

I mimicked in my head. Not out loud, though; I was already having a bad day and wasn't in the mood to start a cat fight so early in the morning.

And then  he bumped into me.

And my day lit up.

Only for a little while, though; because even though I noticed there was something wrong with Miles, he didn't tell me. Which, is not an issue in itself, but I just wanted to help. Not to be bratty or anything. He just didn't need to yell at me because of it.

I didn't even notice where my feet were carrying me until I reached the doors to the balcony and flung them open.

Normally, students weren't allowed here during school hours. It was out of bounds, but I remember coming up here to eat my lunch alone when Miles didn't go to school here. 

I was lonely, and it was sad...

But it was the place where I met my first friend here.

And I knew that if he was in school, this was the place he would be.

I stared outside and spotted the tall, lanky figure of Hobie Brown resting on the railing on the balcony.

I sighed in relief. Thank goodness he was here.

''Sup Gwendy,' Hobie greeted me with a brief nod.

'Hey, Hobie.' I forced a smile as I walked over to him, settling down on the railing next to him.

He took one look at my face and I could tell he knew something was up. 

'Why the long face?' He drummed his fingers on the wall.