Chapter 5 - How to Build a Treehouse

Start from the beginning

"Anthony, you are being ridiculous." Kate snapped in a pique, which made Anthony huff and turn around to face the women. His mother was looking a lot more vulnerable than usual, while his wife looked as challenging as always.

"Pardon me, for assuming there is more than just friendship between the two of you. The duke at least seemed to be quite longing for your 'tender love and care', or however he put it..." He snarled, realising how childishly he acted, but unable to control his vexation.

"Anthony, darling... I... I have been alone for ten years." Violet sighed.

"You have not been alone, you have had us!" Anthony protested, but was again painfully aware of how he sounded like a stupid little boy, craving for the attention of his mama.

"Yes. You and your brothers and sisters have been my life, my love, my job and my utter fulfilment of joy, but things are changing Anthony... I am no longer Viscountess Bridgerton and it is time for me to step aside and make room for you two to run this household as you see fit. And as much as I love being a grandmother, I have also started to feel like there is a void in my life that only a thrilling new relationship can fulfil..." Violet explained, warily.

"Oh, so now it is Kate's fault that you are running around alone at night with some old duke!" Anthony exclaimed offendedly.

"That is not what she said, Anthony." Kate sourly protested.

"No, that is certainly not what I meant." Violet agreed and began to walk further away into the treeline when she noticed that some guests had spread their picnic blanket nearby. "It is simply natural for a lady of my age to step aside and find new interests. I trust in Kate with all my heart that she is perfectly competent in taking care of everything as Viscountess Bridgerton. If I would have had any doubts before, which I did not, they would have been erased now that this weekend has proved her numerous talents."

"But can you not start a new embroidery, or plant some new flowers or find yourself some other more suitable interest than a new husband at this age?!" Anthony still raged on.

"Anthony." Violet said sharply, suddenly not looking at all vulnerable anymore. "You might be a married lord now, but I am still your mother, and you shall speak to me with the respect I deserve. I have the right to choose what I do with my own life. I am a widow and I have been a widow for far longer than most ladies." She started, but fell silent all of a sudden and stared past Anthony's head at a great old oak standing behind him. Confused, Kate studied the tree and noticed that there sat an old weather-beaten treehouse amidst its thick branches. Now Anthony turned around as well, gasped and covered his mouth with his hand when he saw what they were looking at. "Edmund's old treehouse..." Violet whispered and walked slowly towards the tree, until she collapsed down on her knees.

"Mother...!" Anthony yelped and rushed up to her where she sat hunched on the damp ground. Kate picked up her skirts and hurried after them both as well.

"He started to build that treehouse right after you were born..." Violet said, eerily emotionless. Anthony had kneeled down next to her and Kate lowered herself on the other side of Violet. "He insisted that even high-born boys need to have a treehouse." Violet gave out a weird noise, distantly reminding of a laugh. "A treehouse, can you believe it..." She laughed again, as tears began to roll from her eyes.

"Mother..." Anthony started hesitantly and took her hand.

"There is nothing, nothing, that will change the way I adored your father, Anthony. He was my first thought in the morning and my last in the evening. And he still is, no amount of time, no amount of wonderful new memories with this family, no Duke of Stanton can change that." Violet cried and squeezed Anthony's hand. Tears had started to fall down from his eyes as well, but he wiped them away, let go of his mother's hand and jolted up.