Chapter 25

"You only live twice: Once when you're born and once when you look death in the face."

—Ian Fleming

LISA

This was my plan and I wanted it to be perfect. I could feel the coolness of the brandy snifter as it sat nestled in my hand. I stared out the window of our study, and from our position, I could see the capitol, the city on the hill, everything that was good about America was filled with nothing but snakes and rats.

"He's speaking," Jen said, as she leaned into the chair behind the desk.

Turning around, she increased the volume. Avian's image filled the screen, as he stood in front of the podium with his head held high and proud.

Not for long, bastard.

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming. As I said at the last press conference, an internal investigation is still being conducted. But I do want the nation to be assured that the FBI is removing anyone from our employment who does not hold to the standards of our office. Over the last few weeks we've had numerous arrests, including those of notorious drug rings and small time bosses."

Our motherfucking drugs.

"Agent Rebecca Pierce is not missing as was previously rumored, but is currently on leave due to an injury she sustained, and unfortunately, she will not be open for questioning for another few weeks—"

"Now." Jen said with a grin.

"Breaking news," a news anchor reported, as the screen away from Avian. "During the hour we've received video footage from a group called Rsamas; the Republic Soldiers Against More American Savagism, with missing FBI agent, Rebecca Pierce. We warn our viewers, the video contains material not suitable for children."

The feed switched to our little home video, and I allowed a grin to spread across my face. Rebecca Pierce sat up on her knees in front of the red Rsamas flag; her dark hair was matted together, and she was dressed in nothing but old rags. As the camera focused on her face, we could see that it was streaked with dirt and tears. Suddenly a pair of hands held up a recent newspaper up to the lens. Two men, whose feet were the only visible evidence to their presence, were seen holding AR-15's to her head.

"My name...is Rebecca Pierce, I was born in Quantico, Virginia...and have spent...the last ten years working...with the Federal Bureau of Investigation's cyber-crime unit. A few weeks ago...I was taken by terrorists—"

The moment she said the word, one of the men hit her with the butt of his rifle. She let out a small cry as she fell forward, and the other man reached down with a gloved arm and pulled her back to her knees.

"I was taken...by the revolutionary group; Rsamas...They are tired...of the hypocritical nature of our...government in this country. They are tired of the lies...and the cover-ups. They've tried to...get in contact with Dir...ector...Avian Doers and other agents, but their legiti...mate requests have all been... ignored, mocked, and pushed aside...They know now that they cannot fight evil with good, but only with more evil, ...and they will not stop until not only the director...of the FBI stands...down, but the President as well," she stammered.

I looked to Jen at that, but she just grinned in reply. I was not aware that we wanted the President gone, especially after we'd spent millions to get him into office.

An altered voice recording spoke out. "It's time for the people to step up. It's time for the people to fight back. It's time for the people to become Republic Soldiers Against More American Savagism. If not, we will do as our forefathers have done and declare war. If you hear a rumble close by, or see a smoke cloud over the horizon, take that as proof of our intent. We're requesting that you, Mr. President and Mr. Director, step down, or the blood of many innocent victims will be on your hands." And with that, the video feed was cut, and Avian's broadcast was once more being shown as the reporter commented