"Avian, you've come down from Mount Olympus? How is life among us mere mortals?" Senator Kelly asked and as he gave him a short bow. I had forgotten that to the rest of the world, he was simply known as Avian Doers and not Ivan DeRosa. The web of lies surrounding this man were deeply rooted.

"Amusing as always, Andrew." He smiled and looked to me, as he extended his hand for me to shake. "Ms. Manoban, it is a pleasure to finally meet you."

I shook his hand tightly. "Of course, Mr. Doers. Who would have guessed you would be a fan of the opera."

"It is a great passion of mine," he stated with a glint in his eyes.

"Gentleman, I do hope I'm not interrupting." Jen walked up behind the snake. Even with the smile on her face I could see the fire burning in her eyes as she stared at him.

He turned and allowed her into the circle. "Gentlemen? Mrs. Manoban, you must be mistaken; we do not have a gentle bone within our bodies."

"Ouch, Avian, we're right here. No need to scare the lady," Senator Boxer said as he laughed, not at all understanding the battle that was being played here.

Jen just smiled. "I do not scare easily, Senator. Do you mind if I steal my wife?"

"Actually, Mrs. Manoban, I've been dying to have a dance. May I?" Avian asked.

Jen's eyes shot to my own before she offered her hand. I didn't like this, but she would kill me if I denied her this moment. As if the fiend could read my mind, he turned to me.

"You do not mind, do you, Ms. Manoban? I am aware that this is your anniversary."

Bastard.

"Of course not, I have a lifetime with her. I'm sure I can spare three minutes. But I would watch your feet if I were you, those heels of hers are a killer." I pretended to joke, and I managed to gather a few more laughs from the peanut gallery around me.

"I'm not as bad as she makes me out to be," Jen responded, as she held his hand. I'm not sure if it made me feel better or worse to know that he was actually her grandfather.

"It's a good thing I have lead feet then," Avian stated as he led her out onto the dance floor and I instinctively scanned the room. Of course there were secret service agents everywhere. I wanted to snap his neck right off his body, but there was nothing I could do but watch from the sidelines. If he made one wrong move, I would kill him. I didn't mind going back to jail if it meant that he would be six feet under. But I was sure Jen would kick my ass.

"It seems you have competition," Senator Kelly tried to joke, elbowing me in the arm.

"Not even a little bit," I told them. "I always win gentlemen. Even if it looks like I'm losing, I'm winning."

"And that works how?" They laughed.

If you have to ask, then you don't have the ability to comprehend.

JENNIE

I shivered at his touch, and not in a good way.

"What do you prefer—Avian, Ivan, or Grandfather?" I sneered, as I tried to keep as much space between as possible without looking odd.

He frowned with absolute disgust. "Anything but grandfather. I'm hardly old enough."

"You can dye your hair as much as you please, but you can't hide the wrinkles," I said with a smile so fake it was pitiful.

He laughed. "You're funnier than I thought you'd be. I'm sure that's a trait you got from that imprudent father of yours."

I wanted to drive my heel into his shin, but I knew that it was what he wanted; to rile me up.