T h i r t y - o n e

Start from the beginning

"Is it something that you tried and got tired of?"

"I've never tried it."

Abernathy's eyes widened in shock. "Really?"

Harry rolled his eyes. "Yes, really. What about me indicates that I like to lie with paid women?"

"Sorry." The surprise did not disappear. "So you've had...lovers then?"

"There was one, a long time ago," Harry replied, recalling Melody. "And then...a very long dry spell since..." He cut himself short. It didn't feel appropriate to reveal what he had done with Penelope to a virtual stranger.

"It's alright," Abernathy replied knowingly. "I've bedded Polly on....numerous occasions. She is the only girl I have ever lain with."

"Really?" Harry prodded.

Abernathy sniffed. "Oh, I know what you're doing but it doesn't work. I don't look like the sort to whore."

"And I do?"

His companion shrugged. "You do have a reputation."

"And despite it, I seem to be a better man than your brother," Harry pointed out.

Abernathy chuckled. "Yes...yes you do." They were both silent. "Have you written your letter declining the wedding invitation yet?"

"Sorry, it's on my agenda. It's just between the fire and—"

"—-no, it's alright. I'm glad you haven't." Abernathy drained the rest of his glass. "You should come."

"Are you sure? I don't want to be a distraction. I shouldn't be."

"No, please. I want you to come."

***

"It's there in black and white," Armiger said. "He wasn't very careful."

Harry directed his gaze away from his investigator and examined the documents that held proof of Herschel's crimes. It was hard to tear away his eyes from Armiger. He was devoting careful attention to peeling every bit of pith from his orange. There was a letter to some arsonist or other, asking if he could complete the service. The letter was complete with Herschel's seal. The letter promised a generous payout. "No, he was not."

"The men kept everything. I think they were anticipating crossing him for a higher price."

Harry turned the page. "How much did it cost you to retrieve them?"

"Not much. And don't worry about the cost."

"I can let you pay them on my behalf."

"I already have." Armiger handed him another leaflet of papers. "I've already taken the liberty of writing to one of my solicitors. Adams. He's the best man."

"You're very proactive," Harry commented.

"I will admit, my motives are hardly altruistic." Armiger continued to peel the white from his orange. "I love proving that dreadful constable wrong."

Harry set the papers aside. "I'll have to send Adams correspondence of my own. His services might not be required."

Armiger frowned. "Why not?"

"Is there anything that I might be able to give you?" Harry countered. "I can't let you do all of this work for free."

Armiger chewed on his orange slice moodily. "I only wanted to help you get justice."

"And, you've helped me."

"Hm." The investigator shook his head. "I hope you're not being stupid."

"Stupid?"