Chapter 4 - The Ball

Start from the beginning

"I have already taken care of the first dance." Anthony smiled and went to fetch something else for the ball. Kate still had to finish with her hair and she had no idea which tiara she should wear. Having fastened the last locks that had run away from her elegant hairdo she put on her finest golden necklace with red rubies and compared which one of her two golden tiaras would match it the better. The other one was inlaid with orange spessartite gems and did not match the rubies completely, while the other one had yellow citrines, which also did not sit particularly well with the red gemstones.

"Dash it..." She cursed. Anthony was already fully dressed, wearing his black velvety tailcoat and looking absolutely stunning. He kneeled down next to Kate and offered her a large box beautifully wrapped with a burgundy bow. "What is this...?" Kate wondered.

"Well, it might not yet be our first wedding anniversary, but it is the anniversary of our first dance together... So, I wanted to give you a small token of that happy memory." Anthony smiled. Kate opened the box quickly and gasped when she finally saw its content.

"Darling...!" She breathed out as she cautiously picked up the flamingly golden ruby-inlaid tiara, which was so big that it almost could be considered as a crown. "This is far too much...!"

"No, it is not." Anthony declared, took the tiara from her hands and carefully placed it on her head. "It is quite suitable for a viscountess, who is also married into the royal family via her sister." He smiled. "And it suits you very well, especially with that necklace."

"It certainly does..." Kate sighed as she looked at herself in the mirror. She looked magnificent and felt truly noble wearing it. "But is it too big...? Do I look like some sort of sham queen?" She worried.

"No. You are my queen." Anthony smiled and gave her a lengthy kiss. "Come now, viscountess. You look absolutely amazing and our guests are waiting."

***

"Ah, here you are at last." Daphne sighed as Anthony and Kate finally arrived in the corridor on the second floor. "We were already getting a bit worried." She added, holding onto Simon's arm. The prince and Edwina were also waiting for them hand in hand.

"I am sorry, it took my wife some time to make her look this magnificent." Anthony smirked.

"You do look absolutely glorious, bon." Edwina smiled, not looking any worse herself, shining brightly like a true princess with all the diamonds in her crown, jewellery and dress.

"Thank you didi, and you look like the exquisite royalty you are, with your prince." Kate curtsied at them both with a broad smile. Friedrich nodded politely back at her.

"Shall we dance, or shall we stand her complementing each other all evening?" Daphne declared loudly and began to lead her husband towards the staircase.

"Yes, we shall dance!" Edwina laughed and grabbed Friedrich's arm. Kate inhaled sharply.

"Everything is going to go gallantly." Anthony assured her with a smile, grabbed his nervous wife softly by her neck and looked at her fondly. "Just keep your eyes on me, remember."

"Yes..." Kate gasped and took his arm, as she heard the announcer present 'The Duke and Duchess of Hastings!' and the crowd cheered on them as they were probably most graciously gliding down the stairs to the great ballroom of Aubrey Hall. Kate was sure she herself would get tangled up in her long dress, trip over and fall down on her face. Anthony cast one more encouraging smile at her as the announcer presented 'Princess Edwina and Prince Friedrich of Prussia!' and they were waiting for their turn to be up next.