The Mandalorian's Charge [2]

Glitch stuck close to Mando as they walked the streets of Navarro and into the bar that many of the Bounty Hunter's Guild frequented.

Greef looked up as the bar seemed to quiet down at the notice of the Mandalorian and his charge. "Ah, that was fast. Did you catch them all?"

Glitch placed the tracking fobs on the table.

Greef nodded. "Good. I'll begin the off-load,"

Mando removed his weapon and took a seat in the booth as Greef slid over the payment.

Glitch glared down at the credits. "These are Imperial Credits,"

"They still spend," Greef reminded.

Glitch rolled her eyes. "I don't know if you heard, but the Empire is gone,"

"It's all I've got,"

Glitch looked over at Mando as he took the tracking fobs back.

"Save the theatrics," Greef said. "Fine, I'll...I can do Calamari Flan...But I can only pay half,"

Mando nodded at Glitch.

"Fine," The brunette huffed as she took the rubber money.

"Let's see." Greef began looking through his other bounties. "Hmm. I have a bail jumper...A bail jumper, another bail jumper, a wanted smuggler,"

"I'll take them all," Mando said as he reached for the pucks.

"No. Hold on. There are other members of the Guild, and this is all I have,"

"Why so slow?"

"It's not slow at all, actually. Very busy. They just don't want to pay Guild rates. They don't mind if things get sloppy,"

"What's your highest bounty?"

"Not much,"

Glitch scoffed. "That won't even cover fuel these days,"

Greef hummed in thought "There is one job,"

"Let's see the puck," Mando reasoned.

"No puck. Face to face. Direct commission. Deep pocket,"

"Underworld?" Mando asked, causing a shiver to go through Glitch's spine as she touched the back of her neck out of instinct.

"All I know is no chain code," Greef held out a chit. "Do you want the chit or not?"

***

Glitch followed after Mando through the busy streets, only becoming worried as they neared the outskirts and everything became chillingly silent.

Mando stood in front of the door for the contact and knocked.

A cyber eye popped out, and Mando held out the chit to meet with the contact.

Once authorized, the door whirred open.

Glitch paused as she saw the darkened hallway.

"Coming in or staying out?"

Glitch put on a brave face, but even Mando could tell it was for show. "Someone's got to watch your back,"

The duo walked further into the establishment, but when the door at the end opened, Glitch went for her blaster, but Mando quickly grabbed her arm.

"Breathe," Mando ordered simply.

Glitch did as she was told, even if it was through shaky breaths.

Mando moved his charge behind him as the duo walked into the room filled with Stormtroopers.

"Greef Karga said you were coming," An elderly gentleman noted as he sat at the desk in the center of the room.

"What else did he say?" Mando voiced.

"He said you were the best in the parsec,"

Glitch took out her electro bow as Mando aimed his own weapon at the door that had opened.

"Freeze!" A Stormtrooper ordered the duo.

"Drop your weapons!" Another Stormtrooper ordered.

"No, no, no." Another gentleman stammered, "Pardon. I didn't mean to alarm,"

"This is Doctor Pershing," the elderly man introduced. "Please excuse his lack of decorum. His enthusiasm outweighs his discretion. Please lower your blaster and bow,"

"Have them lower theirs first," Glitch growled as she continued to glare at the one aiming at her.

"We have you four to one," The Stormtrooper boasted.

"I like those odds," The Mandalorian declared. "What about you, kid?"

Glitch merely scoffed with a smirk.

"He also said you were expensive," The elderly man said. "Very expensive. Please sit,"

Mando nodded, and Glitch lowered her weapon, the pink electricity of the bow dying down to a mere dim.

The elderly gentleman unwrapped a piece of cloth, and Glitch couldn't help but marvel at the value one block had on the duo.

"Beskar?" Mando noted.

"Go ahead." The man nodded. "It's real. This is only a down payment. I have a camtono of Beskar waiting for you upon delivery of the asset,"

"Alive," Dr. Pershing added.

"Yes. Alive. Although I acknowledge that bounty hunting is a complicated profession. This being the case, proof of termination is also acceptable for a lower fee,"

Dr. Pershing looked at the gentleman in shock. "That is not what we agreed upon,"

"I'm simply being pragmatic,"

"Let's see the puck," Mando said.

"I'm afraid discretion dictates a less traditional agreement. We can only offer you a tracking fob,"

Dr. Pershing handed over the item.

"What's the chain code?" Glitch voiced.

"We can only provide the last four digits," The gentleman reasoned.

Glitch shook her head. "Their age? That's all you can give us?"

"Yes. They're 50 years old. We can also give you last reported positional data. Between that and the fob, a man of your skill should make short work of this,"

Glitch looked over at the Mandalorian.

Mando nodded to Glitch, and the duo stood up.

"The Beskar belongs back into the hands of a Mandalorian." The Gentleman reasoned, "It is good to restore the natural order of things after a period of such disarray, don't you agree?"

Mando remained silent but pushed Glitch forward before her sharp tongue could get them into more trouble.