The world needed a John Shelby.

"Mama" he repeated, stretching his hands out to grip onto her camisole wherever he could grab it and hoist himself into her arms.

"Come here, baby" she whispered, hoping not to wake Finn but of course by the time she got John settled on the bottom of her stomach, he was stirring.

Her husband blinked slowly, taking in the perfect image of his wife and son. A content smile appeared on his face, knowing just how lucky he was that this was his life when for so long they had believed it would never happen.

"He had a temperature last night"

Finn's voice was low and hoarse from just waking, his eyes admiring their son as he sat back against her raised legs and played with the material of her camisole.

"He's just teething, I think" Ailbhe replied, running a hand over his face and forehead relieved to feel no unnatural heat.

Ada had told them high temperatures were normal, especially when he was teething like this. Her and Liam's little boy, Seán had been the same.

"Did you sleep alright?"

Finn asked, more of a formality now than anything. She rarely didn't sleep well anymore. She didn't have to spend the night tossing and turning anymore. Finn had gotten what he wanted - the only thing that ever kept her awake at night was him.

She smiled, nodding her head but she was too enamoured with her son to look at her husband when she replied. Finn watched them, a proud glint in his eye as Ailbhe held John's hands, keeping him sitting upright.

His wife. His son. His family. His perfect family.

"Aidan was asleep when I brought John in but he should be awake soon"

Finn remarked, having taken John from the nursery before he woke his older brother.

Ailbhe gave birth to a baby boy on Christmas Day, 1934. On their arrival in New York, business, which had always come first took an immediate back seat to their family. Finn ensured the best doctors and hospital was prepared for Ailbhe and their baby. The New York doctors had been informed of two vital pieces of information – Ailbhe Shelby was the wife of Finn Shelby, of the Shelby Kennedy Dynasty and the Peaky Blinders so they were to be treated as royalty but more importantly than that, Mrs Shelby's husband would be in the room for the birth, end of story.

Ailbhe had sworn she could do it with just Ada but Finn had put his foot down. He would be there and she would be able to curse him and squeeze his hand until it nearly snapped, he wouldn't miss it for the world.

And she had gone to hell and back to bring Aidan into the world. Twenty hours of doctors and midwifes telling her 'not quite yet' and 'almost ready to start pushing' Ailbhe had been exhausted before it even began. But she had done it. Finn had sat behind her, letting her brace herself against him and squeeze both of his hands with more strength than he had ever known her capable of while she panted and cried, determined to bring their baby into the world.

"You will have to give it more, Mrs Shelby. Baby is getting stuck and baby's heart rate is starting to slow down."

The panic and fear in her eyes when she looked at Finn would be a sight he'd never forget, especially because of how fast she steeled it away and replaced it with utter determination. And then he was there, pink and screaming and slightly bruised from his difficult birth but he was there and he was perfect.

"A boy, you have a son Mr Shelby."

The Doctor smiled to him, but Finn was barely listening. His arms wrapping around his wife's shoulders and middle, kissing the side of her head and cheek, telling her that she was perhaps the most wonderful thing that ever existed.