Chapter 1 - The News

Start from the beginning

"Now, please tell me. I must know everything about your travels to Bombay, Lord and Lady Bridgerton." The duke requested, as they had all settled after the toasting.

***

The next morning Kate woke up early to a strongly nauseating feeling plaguing her body. Anthony was still fast asleep, his gorgeous body lying naked under the heavy velvet blanket. But Kate had no time to admire her husband like she usually did, if she happened to wake up earlier than he did, because the nausea had grown even worse and she had to jolt up from the bed and vomit into her chamber pot. Anthony stirred in his sleep but did not open his eyes, so Kate tiptoed silently and moved the chamber pot with a disgusted face all the way to the toilette. Slowly she drank a glass of water to wash away the foul taste in her mouth, before sneaking back into the master bedroom silently like a cat.

Kate sighed and cast one more longing look at her peacefully sleeping husband. The auburn morning light sifting through the curtains cast a soft light on his dark curls and stunning face, his sturdy nose and beautiful lips, but the demanding rumble in Kate's stomach forced her to walk away from the tempting warmth in Anthony's arms. Quickly she donned a simple light blue dress and woollen shawl over her nightgown and headed outside to the large hallways of her husband's ancestral home. Now it was her home as well. Kate smirked at the thought and even though the chill of the night was still lingering about in the corners of the great building, she could feel it welcoming its viscountess warmly.

"Good morning, Aubrey Hall..." Kate whispered and smiled to herself. She had loved the building ever since the first time she had laid her eyes upon it, much like she had done with the lord of the house, although she had complained that he was blocking the view of her first glimpse at Aubrey Hall. It seemed like forever ago, even if it was a mere year. So much had changed since she first set her foot here. She had arrived with Edwina and their mother to make sure her sister would be the lady of this particular house, but faith had intervened and now she was the viscountess Bridgerton and lady of Aubrey Hall.

If there was something Kate had learned in her seven and twenty years, it was that no matter how well laid one's plans were... Love, fate, or perhaps both, could ruin them as easily as a gust of wind blows away the seeds of a dandelion. And oh, how much she did love. Most of all Anthony, obviously. Their burning passion towards one another had not cooled down one bit during their half-year-long honeymoon abroad, quite the opposite actually. In addition to that passion, a deep love and companionship had grown between them like a blooming vine of roses, taking the place of that shy and cautious newly found love that they had harboured for each other in the beginning of their acquaintance. They had shared a wonderful adventure together during their long trip to her childhood home in Bombay and back. She knew all of his secrets and he knew all of hers. She had heard all the stories of his upbringing in England and he never grew tired of hearing her stories from India. But still she felt like she learned something new about him every day, and loved him more and more deeply for every passing moment.

But she did not love just Anthony, she loved the entire life she had got with her marriage to him. She loved all of the Bridgerton siblings. She loved how passionate Benedict was about art and Francesca about music and how delightful it was to speak with them about it. She loved Colin's openhearted approach to everything he experienced and everyone he met. She particularly loved Eloise and what an intelligent and independent young woman she was with all her radical ideas. Last, but not least, she loved the childish joy Gregory and Hyacinth spread around the house. Then there was Violet, who had welcomed her into the family more openly than any daughter-in-law could ever hope for, and of course Daphne, who she already had built a strong friendship with. As Kate hurried down the stairs to the morning room she thought about having to seek out Daphne as soon as she would wake up. The servants were just starting to set up the table as Kate entered the room and made startled curtsies or bows when she arrived.