CHAPTER 29 - Secrets Revealed.

Start from the beginning

As we neared the end of our patrol, making our way back to the Common Room, I mustered the courage to bring it up.

"What did I do for you to hate me so much, anyway? I think I deserve to know," I asked, my voice firm and steady.

She sighed, and we entered the Common Room. "I... don't hate you... but... you're right... you do deserve an explanation..." Her gaze met mine, and it sent a shiver down my spine. She stepped closer, and I could feel my heart racing. "That night... I..."

But before she could explain, someone interrupted us.

"What are you two doing?" Astoria said, irritating Hermione and me. I almost mirrored Hermione's frustration, feeling the tension rising.

"Astoria, we're on Head duty... we need to make a report for Headmaster McGonagall... please go back to sleep," I insisted, annoyance evident in my tone.

Astoria clung onto me and pouted. "No... I'll stay here to ensure that this... girl... doesn't try to take my Draco away from me," she said, her disgust evident.

I rolled my eyes and turned to Hermione, who looked infuriated. She was seething.

"Granger... are you okay?" I asked, concerned.

"Just leave her there, Draco... let's go to my room... you can do whatever you want with me..." Astoria continued, whispering into my ears as I clicked my tongue, trying to get away from her grip.

It was clear that Astoria wanted to provoke Hermione, and by the look on Hermione's face, Astoria had succeeded. In a sudden movement, Hermione punched Astoria in the face and pulled me by the arm into a nearby room, where she used her wand to lock us inside. Astoria's screams echoed through the halls, waking up everyone. Harry and Ron knocked on the door, asking what was going on, but Hermione paid no attention to them.

With Astoria temporarily out of sight, Hermione turned to face me. My eyes widened as she seemed to be ready to explode. Hermione took a deep breath, trying to control her emotions.

"Now... you're gonna listen to me," Hermione said, her voice firm but trembling with emotion. She looked deeply into my eyes, and her vulnerability struck me. "That night... our last night in Australia... I had a nightmare," she revealed, and I focused on her, realizing this was something deeply personal. "In the nightmare... we were back in Hogwarts... and I... kissed you in front of everybody... but... you made fun of me for being naive and for believing in you so easily... you said that a true pureblood like you could never fall for someone like me... a mudblood..."

I felt anger build up within me. "Are you telling me that you blew me off because of a dream?" I blurted out, my emotions getting the better of me.

Hermione looked down, embarrassed. "It's not that simple... it was a really horrifying nightmare, and I'd never felt more despised in my entire life... your eyes when you looked at me... I couldn't bear to see those eyes... ever..."

I huffed, trying to contain my anger. "What the fuck..." I said as I ran my fingers through my hair, trying to calm myself down. "That was... a dream, Granger... do you have any idea--"

She interrupted me, her voice rising as she yelled, "You're right, okay? It was a dream... and I regretted every single word I said to you at the airport at the moment I said them... but you disappeared..." Tears welled up in her eyes. "And then... you were so damn quick to get over me, I started to think that maybe I was right... and you were just lying to me... and I really was just a fling to you..."

My expression softened as I saw how heartbroken she was. Hermione was inconsolable, and I tried to remain calm, despite the turmoil within me.

"Granger... you have no idea how much I suffered because of that... I told you many times I wanted to be your friend... how could you think I was lying to you..." I blurted out, my frustration evident.