09

The studio was warm, with warm oak wood everywhere. Everyone we bumped into was so kind. It was beautiful, each room had plenty of room to work. I'd never been in a studio before, I was a little nervous at the pressure to succeed.

Harry noticed a keyboard across the room, his face lit up. He grabbed my hand, "Come here, now I can teach you how to read music." He pulled me towards the piano.

There was already empty sheet music on the keys. "This is perfect, here, sit down."

I raised my eyebrows and hesitantly sat, "We have a song to write, why are we doing music theory right now?"

Harry sat next to me. Our thighs and shoulders pressed together. Both our hands sat at the keys. I could feel his body move while he breathed, I did my best to match my chaotic breaths with his slow and steady ones.

"I know music and the studio isn't really your element, you're more into writing alone and writing a story. I'm hoping if you get familiar with music theory and some instruments it'll help you feel more comfortable." He explained.

He was right, I was stressed. Stepping into the studio and seeing all the equipment made this all so real. I was really helping Harry write an album. Having some background in music would help calm me down, not to mention help with the writing process. "Right, so how do we start?"

"Well, I've never taught someone music theory, but I figured we could try the piano and kill two birds with one stone."

He wanted me to learn an instrument too? My hands started getting sweaty.

"Look, he pressed a key on the board, then played several more after. "A," he played a key, "B", he played another, "C", he played until he said "G". Then he looked up at me, "It's letters, letters create words. You can do this."

Words, I loved words, letters and words, together they created art. It was the same thing with music, just putting letters together to make an arrangement.

"How do I know which key is which?"

Harry placed his hand over mine, lifting it to the middle of the board. He used my thumb to press down on a key. "This is Middle C, memorize this one and you can figure out any note on the board."

I nodded, "So if this is C, then this is D?" I played the cord next to it.

"Exactly."

"What about the black keys?" I asked.

"Sharps and flats, but we will get to those later." Harry pointed towards the sheet music with a pencil that I didn't even know he had. He drew a curvy symbol covering the lines. "This is Treble Clef or your right hand." He drew a similar symbol on the lines below. "This is Bass Clef or your left hand."

He wrote letters on the Treble Clef lines, "F, A, C, E. Or FACE. The spaces create FACE. The lines, E, G, B, D, F. Every, Good, Boy, Deserves, Fudge."

"Every good boy deserves fudge?"

"It's the acronym my teacher taught me. I've never forgotten the notes because of it."

"If you end up being a good music teacher, maybe I'll buy you some fudge." I swayed into him.

He swayed right back, "I can think of a few other things I'd like a lot more than fudge."

My stomach tightened. "What kind of things?"

Harry shrugged, "It doesn't matter, as long as I'm with you; fudge is perfect."

"Then let's get practicing so I can see if you're worthy of fudge."