ii. summer bonfires

SO IT GOES
002. | "summer house"

The families all joined at the dinner table for their annual first-night dinner, usually, it was full of laughter and reflections of their last years

The families all joined at the dinner table for their annual first-night dinner, usually, it was full of laughter and reflections of their last years. Yet this time the only voices that were heard were Jeremiah and Steven.

That was until Laurel started to groan at her son's behaviour, "Steven, I swear to god, if you look at that phone one more time, I'm putting it in the screen basket." He was no doubt texting some sort of girl or stalking the summer kids' Instagrams seeing which one he would hit on tonight.

It was the night of the first annual bonfire, an event they had been going to since they became teenagers. Well almost all of them went to the party, Cecelia and Belly always stayed home with the moms and watched movies where Hallie and the boys danced and drank with absolutely no care in the world.

"It's just, we want to see your beautiful faces. Can dinner be a screen-free zone?" Susannah added, her voice laced with a bit of a chuckle at the end of her sentence. "You know, like the olden days." Scarlett winked but despite the mom's requests, Steven was still looking at his phone.

"Hals!" Jeremiah yelled across the table before snatching Steven's phone, warning her that the phone would be heading to her so it didn't hit her in the head. He quickly tossed it over like he was throwing a baseball, Hallie quickly caught it and chucked it onto the chair behind her. "Guys!" Steven whined.

"Boom! Nailed it." Jeremiah jumped up in the air, hitting her palm that was held out for him to high five. "Nice one!" She exclaimed with the same level of enthusiasm. The two continued to cheer for themselves.

"Okay, okay, okay, we get it, you've been working out, Jere." Steven was slightly irritated but part of him found their excitement kind of hilarious. "Same goes for you, Hallie."

Celia decided to join in on the conversations, "Oh, you're just jealous because Jere has a better body than you," laughed jokingly to Steven. "And that Hallie's arms are bigger than yours," Belly added.

"Uh, no, actually, it's all about the lean look now. Otherwise, you can't wear tailored suits."Steven explained to all of them, sounding very convincing. Causing everyone at the table to chuckle at his answer.

"Tailored suits." Conrad mimicked Steven's voice, chuckling at the same time. Putting everyone's attention now onto him, being that this was the first thing that he had said during the whole dinner. "When are you leaving for training camp, man?" Steven asked him.

Hallie was also curious. Conrad had always played football for as long as she remembered, it was the same thing with her and volleyball. It was just something they had always done. "Uh, he quit football." Jere cut in to save him.

"What? Seriously?" She blurted out, not meaning to spit it out like that but she was absolutely lost. Conrad didn't love his sport, she knew that but that didn't mean she wasn't absolutely shocked.