Chapter One

"You know we can always go back home." Marina Nightshade stood next to Aria. Her eyes were covered in shades to hide her red puffy eyes. She had been crying the previous night. Aria was her only daughter, the two were inseparable and now the thought that her little Aria was growing up was nerve wrecking.

Aria Nightshade stared into her mothers honey brown eyes. She always wished she had her mothers eyes, compared to her dull green eyes. She knew behind those ridiculous glasses, her mother was on the verge of tears. Marina was emotional. Too emotional if you asked Aria.

" Mother, I'm going to be fine." Aria smiled , reassuring Marina. Marina forced a smile, then stifled a cry. Marina turned and wiped her tears discretely.

Blackwood academy was founded in the 18th century. It was once a castle, belonging to the Blackwood family. The school stood tall and imposing. In the midst of a forest, a symbol of grandeur. The school exuded an air of mystery, power and enchantment embracing the rich history of thousands of otherwordly students.

Aria was in awe of the stone walls, that looked weathered but held an air of wisdom and knowledge. The terrifying stone gargoyles that sat at the edges of each corner of the school served as a past reminder of the castles terrifying past. The once mighty castle, was now transformed into a sanctuary for all supernaturals seeking knowledge and a place to learn about their extraordinary activities . With the castles vast courtyard, students could be seen practising their powers. Learning control and shaping their skills under the watchful eyes of their experienced mentors. That wasn't what Aria wanted.

Marina held Aria's hand as they walked through the large heavy mahogany doors. Into the large hallway. Ornate chandeliers illuminated the hallways bringing light to the gloomy looking castle. Students buzzed around oblivious of them as Marina led Aria to the Head Mistress's office.

"Welcome to Blackwood Academy," A short bubbly woman stood from her seat. The woman had long jet black hair, crystal blue eyes and really red lips. " I'm Miss Blackwood. Or just Black, for short." She laughed it off as she ushered them to their seats.

"Its a pleasure Miss Black." Marina smiled brightly at her. " This is Aria..."

"Yes , Aria Nightshade. I never forget a name." Miss Black laughed. " What family are you from?"

" Umh, we don't really know. " Marina answered hurriedly. Aria looked at her mom. She knew that tone. Its like she was hiding something. Something big but she never asked. She knew she would figure out the truth soon.

"So the Unknown group. Okay." The head master scribbled down quickly. "Follow me."

Jane Blackwood was a vampire. An original. She knew ever corner of the school. She was raised here after all. She knew the history of her once great family  , every one knew it but not like she did. She was part of a legacy and she had to play her role.

Jane led them to the dormitories. She detested Unknowns, they caused the most trouble. One look at Aria and she knew she was in for a semester so then why did she accept Aria? She was incharge of the admissions yet she choose an Unknowns. Simple. She was intrigued by Aria. She reminded her of him. The man who is not to be named but maybe she was wrong. That she was yet to find out.

"Here you go dear." She smiled as she entered the room.

Aria gasped as she walked in the room. They were welcomed with a breathtaking view of  the mountains . The dark floor was covered in a dark plush carpet, the walls painted a cool grey with delicate silver damasks adding a touch of elegance to the room.

On one side of the room, stood a large, ornate four-poster bed. Its sturdy iron frame, was painted in matte black, stood tall against the backdrop of billowy, deep purple curtains that draped around the bed to create a sense of privacy and mystery. The bed is adorned with soft velvet pillows in shades of black, purple, and silver, resembling delicate flowers.

Opposite the bed, there is a sophisticated sitting area for relaxation and contemplation. A comfortable black velvet couch with decorative silver tassels sits against a backlit stained glass window, casting ethereal colors into the room. Nearby, a sleek black steel bookshelf empty with a bit of dust to it.

The room's lighting was strategically placed to create a mysterious ambiance. A grand chandelier with black, tapered candles hangs from the center of the ceiling, casting flickering light across the room. Alongside the chandelier, wall sconces with soft LED lights created a warm and inviting glow.

To balance the dark tones of the room, large floor-to-ceiling windows are draped with flowing sheer curtains in silver-gray, allowing natural light to gently filter in during the day. The windows offer a mesmerizing view of the castle gardens, which are beautifully landscaped with gloomy yet beautiful flora.

For storage, an antique wooden cabinet with intricately carved details was available.To personalize the space, there was a dedicated vanity area with a stunning black and silver Rococo-style mirror.

"You are in luck dear. You won't have to share a room."Jane Black smiled. She watched Aria look around the room in awe. Her school offered the very best, she was lucky to be accepted here.

"I'll let you get settled in."

Marina swooned as she fell on the bed. "Darling, this is amazing."

Aria smiled, " This is great mother. I can't believe I have it all to my self."

"I can. She probably knew you liked being alone." Marina stood and walked next to Aria."Baby, I want you to settle in, make some friends. Laugh, get drunk , get a boy friend, have sex..."

"Mom." Aria turned to her mother. Her face flush red.

"Baby, its okay. Just don't get pregnant. You can't die a virgin." Marina laughed lightly as she rubbed Arias cheek. "Just don't get pregnant."

"I won't mother." Aria smiled reassuringly. " Don't you have to go, Saint is getting of school any minute now."

"I don't want to leave you,"Marina pulled Aria in for a hug. "But you are grown up. I'll go and make sure to call me when you need anything or if you just miss you mommy."