Chapter 004 Nothing Says Happy 4th Like A Boyfriend.

Почніть із самого початку

They had gotten into Adams expensive blender to make slushies but the lid assent on tight and the whole thing got all over the counter.

"Wouldn't he be mad if he finds out?" Belly asks.

"He's not going to, he's not coming!" Conrad said, again with the slight smile.

As we are blending ingredients Conrad says, "you know what I miss? Seeing Laurel but dad in his place. She's be like ADAM" he said emphasizing his name.

Like a magic trick Adam appeared. Everyone was quiet.

I hadn't seen him since the last week of senior year. When he offered me another internship for the summer.

At that point I knew about Susannah's cancer and was not going to spend the summer without her.

...

We go down to the beach and play drinking games, me sticking to a sprite.

We leave the beach and it's just us girls and Cam at the pier.

Nicole starts talking about Conrad and the lack of their relationship. She asks Belly for advice.

Belly gets messy and talkative when she drinks. I sent Cam a look to get her out of there.

Around the same time Gigi starts to feel sick so Gigi and Nicole leave to an Uber.

Shayla stayed. Of course.

"So I'm I don't want this to sound weird but, That night at the party... I heard you and Steven talking." I break the silence.

"He already told me you guys weee dating when I got here, and I'm happy for you."

"I just wanted to say thanks for having my back even when we aren't great if friends"

"Well now we are, cheers" she says holding up her drink to me.

She decides to go home as well so it's just the family now.

I go take the long way going to get water for Belly so I can look at the flower garden. I go through the front door and hear Steven and Adam talking.

Fml.

I stay in the dining room to hear what they say.

"Yea, it's mostly a work summer. I mean, Princeton is pretty expensive. And that's if I get in, so..." Steven says drying a dish.

"You will. You got hustle like I did." Adam says.

If by 'hustle' he means this grandparents being loaded with money.

"Hey have you found the card room?" Adam asks.

I felt me heart actually hurt.

The guys in the card room were VERY particular in who they let around.

I ran into the kitchen like I haven't been standing there to end their conversation.

"Callie! How's my favorite daughter?" Adam asked me hugging me. I didn't hug back.

"Callie is wondering why the hell her lear favorite guy named Adam Fisher is in cousins, and taking to my boyfriend?" I was cold. He heard it, Steven, heard it, I heard it.

"I think your mom needs my help" he ran out of thw kitchen.

I know I was harsh but I couldn't stand the thought of him ruining Susannah's favorite holiday.

Surprisingly, no one was shocked when Steven and I used the words 'girlfriend' and'boyfriend'.

They acted like it had been something for years and was totally normal. Which I guess is liking each other was normal.

Susannah was the happiest. I knew she was exited.

Mom always knew when people were destined for each other.

She always said Belly and Conrad, then Steven and I. I never believed her until today.

I had been so caught up with family stuff I completely forgot to tell Aaron we needed to stop our lessons so I did what no one should ever do, I texted him it's over(whatever we had which wasn't really anything to begin with).

Aaron Callie
Hey so I think we should end our painting lessons, the contest is tomorrow so I don't see a need to continue

Oh, ok chill

That went surprisingly well, maybe I just read things wrong.

It was around 10 pm and I was wiped. Exhausted, I stopped by Stevens room to say goodnight.

"Hey I just wanted to say I was going to bed" I said popping my head into his room.

"Come in for a bit?" He asked looking sad.

I sat on the edge of the bed, "what's wrong?"

"Nothing other that I'm worried about Conrad and Jeremiah, they have barely even noticed me this year. I want my friends back."

I understand where he's coming from. They both have been obsessing over Belly this entire summer.

"I'll talk to them. But for now, how about you get some very good quality Callie time and we watch something?" I say already laying next to him with the remote.

Susannah would always tell each of us kids our "super power". Conrad's was his way of never giving up, I knew she meant he was stubborn and he did too; Jeremiah had the ability to make everyone like him (golden retriever type vibe); Belly was well under pressure; Steven had smarts, the grades for Ivy's; and me? The ability to put a smile on people's faces even in the darkest of clouds(her words).

I didn't plan to fall asleep next to Seven that night but it was the perfect ending to the night.

Published:7/16/2023
Words:1451