Chapter Nineteen

Bill’s bed. She couldn’t believe how close to him she felt in his room, in his bed. And she could think again now that she wasn’t so tired. Being ultra organised, Sophie started making lists of things she had to do. It didn’t leave a lot of time to think about the man whose bed she slept in. She sent him odd emails, but other than the one impersonal reply she’d had to congratulate her on her job, she heard nothing back. And despite it all, she had too much pride to phone him anymore, she’d spent so long speaking to his answer phone, and she couldn’t do it any longer.

Jumping up from yet another good night’s sleep; she consulted the jotter pad beside the bed. Today was all about sorting out the pieces that she’d exhibit and the layout. Margo was joining her at the gallery and they were hoping to influence Michael into their own thoughts. Her other job was to look for somewhere else to live. Whatever happened she couldn’t stay here at Bill’s, she had to move on. He’d treated her so badly, disappearing without trace, no contact...that couldn’t be a man who loved her.  But she also wanted to treat Margo, as a thank you for her unending support.

Lifting out of her reverie, she checked her laptop, there were three stages to go in the Australian race, and due to a nasty crash two days earlier, Johnny Peters the British favourite was out, a broken collar bone ending any chance of victory. It meant that Bill was in a good position to be the new British number one, and so see every one push him for a victory. After all, he was in ninth position and there was very little in it.   She was so tempted again to call him to congratulate him. But no, he was a bastard; he was failing as the man who said he loved her, and as a friend. Sighing she reached for her phone and sent him a quick text. She couldn’t ignore his good fortune, she wasn’t like him.

Dressing she grabbed a piece of toast then made for ARTistic. As usual, Margo was pottering around in her little world, Sophie hated that her friend had to close the shop to accompany her, but it was quiet anyway, and most customers were regulars.  Margo grinned at her friend as she heard the front door open.

                “Ah Sophie! I’m just SO excited to be going ‘uptown’!”

Sophie giggled, “I’m SO glad you’re coming! I’m SO excited!”

Within ten minutes they were in a cab cutting across town.

Michael was nothing but a perfectionist, but as this was her first, and quite likely her only exhibition, she wasn’t about to back down over anything, and Margo was like her second in command fighting for her devotedly.  And they won. Michael was crushed into submission on all counts, and mainly due to Margo’s’ dogged determination.

Standing the petite octogenarian smiled at her former colleague, “Michael, I’m SO glad that you have the same vision as us!”

She screen kissed him rather dramatically, then led the laughing Sophie out into the street.

                “Margo, I insist on lunch, on me! My treat!”

Margo looked at her, almost making to protest, then she smiled, “why I’d love to! Bugger the shop!”

She’d never eaten at any of London’s Michelin starred restaurants, but today she was throwing caution to the wind. She deserved the treat, and so did Margo. She was a legendary friend. They were met at the door by a maître’d, for a moment he looked them both up and down in a Pretty Woman derogatory fashion.

                “I’m afraid we’re fully booked for lunch.”

Sophie smiled, “I’m so glad to hear that. I’ve got a reservation, in the name of Beck...” she glanced over her shoulder at Margo and grinned, “and we’ll be drinking a bottle of your finest champagne!”