Prologue

My name is Alexis Rogers.
I was approached by Nick Fury to talk about the Avengers initiative six years ago. I was a foster kid... sorta. Not being wanted by every home you go to can make you do some pretty stupid things, but joining S.H.I.E.L.D. is not one of them. I was the first test subject injected with the super solider serum, after it was recreated.
I am also the last.
What it did to Steve, didn't work on me the same way. It was different. I got sick, and went into a coma for a year after that. Within that year, I was pronounced dead twice, but came back shortly after. When I woke, I was normal. But I never felt the same. I was eleven years old when they conducted the experiment, and it has changed my life forever.
I trained for three years in a secret location; learning how to control my powers. I met the Avengers while training. We grew close, like a family. I was 15 when I joined the Avengers. The fight between Tony and Steve had just ended, Bucky (Steves' best friend) was back, and S.H.I.E.L.D. was whole again. I guess I was like a daughter to Steve because he adopted me shortly after.
I was happy. I had a family. I had friends. I was me again.
Two years later, S.H.I.E.L.D. was attacked.
This is that story.