A Million Promises

Start from the beginning

But Scarlett's favorite part was the rare times when she could see and listen to the real Carter, as she babbled on about anything she could think of and her quiet nature was almost forgotten. Those moments were short-lived as she would soon notice what she was doing and self-consciously she'd trail off, slowing her words. Those were the best moments though, they were perfect in Scarlett's mind. Well, everything about Carter was perfect in her mind.

Today was no different from any other, except it was. As the time at daycare rolled to an end, Carter once again sat in her classroom watching as kids slowly began to fall out of the room with their parents. She stayed tucked into her little corner drawing as she herself awaited her dad's arrival. He had promised the night before at dinner, after two whole weeks of saying he'd pick her up and three post-dinner ice cream runs to "apologize" for missing pick-up.

Carter couldn't contain her excitement. A make-up movie night for the previously missed one, dinner at her favorite little diner, with a milkshake of course, then to the nearest drive-in to seal the deal. She was practically bouncing all day. Her teachers were overjoyed to see the bright smile on her face all day, even more so the small chatter she'd made throughout.

It was like she'd forgotten every broken promise, every disappointment, every vow of silence in retaliation, and every tear she'd shed. It happened every time, though the young girl continued to convince herself he'd changed and this was the time he'd actually follow through. She'd said that countless times.

It was hard for Scarlett. The way Casey and Carter's Mimi had described things made it seem like Colin was Carter's heroes. He could do no wrong in her eyes, and no matter how many times he'd disappoint her she'd always end up waiting for him when he promised. Scarlett hated that. She was big on promises, they were a very special things to her. To see Carter so readily open to having her sweet little heart broken over and over angered a part of her. But it also made her question her trust in the man, because if he could break a million promises with his own child, how well could he keep one with her.

While the woman was prepared for the fate of the child's evening from the previous weekends experience, it didn't make it any easier to see the slightly saddened girl's face as she facetimed her that afternoon. Though she was happy to speak with Carter, despite the previous cancellation of their daily call since she was meant to be with her father, it hurt her to know it was only a result of the man's continued inability to show up.

Luckily for her, Carter still remained fairly bubbly as she spoke to the woman, explaining how her Daddy had had a last minute meeting so instead he'd be picking her up from her MiMi's and they'd pick up dinner before heading home to a movie on the couch. To Carter any time was still time, no matter what they did.

Now, she sat at her vanity on a Thursday night talking with Carter's MiMi. He had called for a rain check once again. Hours after as Carter's dinner time came close. Something about making it up in the near future was said, though it didn't stop the disappointment from clouding the girl's thoughts once again. Her MiMi had put on a movie for them, though it proved to no use as Carter paid little mind to it. Resulting, the older woman had gone out on a limb, opting to call Scarlett so they could talk before Carter went to bed.

Scarlett smiled at the small girl in her sea themed pajamas, her hair wet from the shower. She snuggled into bed , holding the phone in front of her as Scarlett attempted to apologize for Colin's actions. Carter shrugged not paying much attention to the gesture, but she was captured by the woman's words as she mentioned the possibility of seeing each other over the weekend.

Even if Scarlett and Colin seemed tense with the other momentarily, Scarlett was hoping that she may be able to finally take up on Carter's MiMi's offer of bringing Rose over to have a visit. She had invited them to an afternoon of baking cookies and watching a movie so the girls could see each other again, but mostly so Carter could see Scarlett.

Carter visibly brightened at the mention of such possibilities, her mind already racing with thoughts of what they'd do. She fell asleep with a small smile as Scarlett finally got her to give in to her exhaustion, and after another twenty minute conversation with MiMi, the two women hung up, turning in for the night themselves.

All three slept well, and with that knowledge, MiMi had noted in her head to have them call at bedtime more often. It was a miracle for Carter to sleep so well, yet Scarlett had the ability to change that.

A very content five year-old was then sent to daycare for the day. She maintained her usual tendencies, spending majority of her day drawing some pictures for her uncle Casey, MiMi, and Scarly. Her Daddy had never truly been interested in her art. He wanted the type to hang up countless pictures drawn by a child.

The most exciting part of her day came when she was picked up though. Her MiMi smiled as she came out with her stuff, waking hand and hand with her to the car as she rambled on about what her latest drawings were, her favorites at least. As she helped her into her seat, she pulled away to look at her granddaughter.

'You've got a very exciting night ahead of you!', the woman told the girl.

Carter's eyes widened, her head tilting in confusion, 'I do?'

'You do.' The woman reassured.

'What's happening?' , she'd heard back.

'Well, I've been told that a certain little girl needs to get dressed up all nice because her father would like to take her to a fancy dinner to apologize for yesterday. Then, to dessert and finally home to pjs and a disney princess movie marathon.' MiMi explained to the child with growing excitement.

Carter beamed, her hidden dimples finally coming out, 'Let's go!'

The woman laughed getting into the driver's seat and taking them home, to MiMi's house that is. The excitement of the girl radiated from her as she almost ran up the stairs as soon as the door was opened. Though a shout telling her that a snack was first stoped her in her tracks. She had practically forgotten about her daily call with Scarly as she bounced around the kitchen in endless anticipation.

Scarlett couldn't hold back her smile watching how fully of energy the girl was. This was how she wished Carter always looked. Happy.

A/N: Miss me? I sure missed this. So, we're gonna play a little game if guess who. Guess who found their idea flow and motivation? I'll give you a hint they just posted a chapter right above this note.

Ok but on a more serious note, I never really do timeskips but u want my stories to not be all jam packed into hyper-detailed weeks of unrealistic existences. I also don't want to just skip ahead without any description though. That being said, how are we feeling about this layout?

Anyways, I just wanna say thank you to all your support, even during my absences. I know it's not easy to get into a story just for it to suddenly not be updated for awhile but your patience is graciously appreciated. Your comments and kindness keep me going on this hopefully beautiful story, and i'm glad you all enjoy it.
If you have any ideas or requests please lmk as my stories are written solely as the ideas come to me.

But thank you again! Hope this was worth the wait, and i'll see you in the next one!
Love,
EJ <3

His DaughterOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara