'Pop'ping the Question

Wukong happily licked the peach juice off the tips of his fingers like a child. Having just finished his third peach, he was still unbelievably starving. And even though three sounds like a lot, that wouldn't even begin to scratch the surface of the stone monkey's crave for stone fruit. He whipped his tail around to the bowl next to him, wrapping it around a peach and swinging it into the air. It landed gracefully into the palm of his hand before taking a not-so-graceful bite out of it. The Monkey's face warmed at the sweetness that overwhelmed his taste buds, only if all food tasted this amazing.

"WhawoodIdowihoutpeches." Wukong muttered to himself. "Prowbablydie."

The king chuckled at his joke, finishing the produce in two more bites. "I'm seven times immortal, I can't die. Dear Buddha, I'm so funny."

He twisted his tail again to prod at the bowl for another peach.

But... the bowl wasn't there?

He lazily shifted in his seat so he could grab a fruit instead, easy as pie. But to no avail, the bowl was missing. He frowned, no way MK and his dragon friend had actually gotten to the peaches, right?

Wukong was startled as the surrounding sun seemed to be sucked dry, leaving him chilly and his tan at a pause. He flicked his sunglasses down and twisted to look behind him.

He groaned, turning away and flopping onto his cloud like a frustrated toddler. "Uninvited as always Macaque..."

The tanned monkey leaned against a large rock that stood behind the King, concealing him in a cool blanket of shade. Hidden from the hot sun, just how he prefered it. He sat down, hugging the bowl next to himself as he gingerly picked up a fruit.

"But you were expecting me, like always." Macaque grinned, taking a bite out of the succulent fruit.

Wukong cut him off with a groan, pinching the bridge of his nose. He sunk deeper into his seat. "If you insist on showing up everytime, at least try to make it easy to like you."

Macaque's lips curled into a mocking smile. He dropped the peach he was eating and quietly picked up a new one, taking a loud, squelching bite into it. Even though they both had their reasons to dislike the other, they never seemed to forcefully drive the other away when forced in confrontation. It was ironic really, hating each other but deciding to entertain the other's instigation.

The king grimaced, pushing himself deeper into his chair. "And that too. Actually if
you could just stop showing up and quit stealing my fruit then I think everyone could be a whole lot happier."

Macaque dropped the produce and picked up another unbitten one, opening his mouth to take another mocking bite. His teeth grazed the peach before he stopped, maybe this wasn't a great idea right now. He sighed and placed it back into the bowl. Macaque shoved himself off the ground and walked over to the lounging monkey.

"You know what-" Macaque said through his teeth, trying his hardest to come across as sincere. "Okay."

The shadows that blocked the sun seemed to gradually diminish, letting the warmth return. Wukong slowly took off his glasses and sat up from his seat, exasperated. Had Macaque just agreed with him? With the Monkey King, with Sun Wukong?

"Whoa whoa whoa." Wukong energetically asked, glaring at Macaque with a goofy grin on his face. "Did you- who are you? And what did you do with Macaque?"

Macaque hissed as the warm sun came in contact with him, he was trying to be nice right now. He didn't have to make this any harder than it needed to be "Comedic as always Wukong."