Chapter three: long way down

✧

WHEN I OPEN my eyes I see nothing around me. There is no light, there's not a room...there's nothing. Nothing but one person standing in the middle of it all.

My gaze locks on their figure but I can't make anything out. They to are purged in the darkness that surrounds us. I open my mouth to speak but then clamp it shut in regret.

I second guess myself because I don't know this person, I don't even know if that is a person. I won't find out just standing and staring through.

"Who are you?"

I find myself trying to understand the lone figure in the sea of darkness. I examine the space around me and see nothing but endless pools of black, there are no shadows, there is no light.

Just darkness.

I take a step forward, "Who are you?" I ask again.

My words seem to reach their ears this time and they move, they move an inch and it's barely noticeable but they moved, and I saw it. Their head dips and I hear a sigh leave their lips.

The figure finally turns to me. I get a glimpse of their face as they turn and I can't help the gasp that leaves my lips, "You're... me?" I point to her and then me as I stumbled back in deep-rooted shock. I almost trip over my feet but I catch myself. Why did she look like me?

Who is that?

The stranger smiles but it doesn't reach their eyes, it's empty, emotionless, it's filled with pity and misplaced anger. "Yeah, I'm you." I take a step forward urging them to continue, urging her to press on. She shakes her head, "I am The Nova Witch from Earth 199999." She says in a whisper. When her words hit my ears I don't believe them.

The Nova Witch?

So if she looks like me then that means... "You're the version of me from Doctor Strange's world. And yet, that still doesn't explain why he's after me...why you're in my body." I'm grateful that I was able to put the clues together so quickly.

She's quick to respond, with an underlying message in her words. She stands taller and I see a ghost of a smirk on her face, "You picked up on that quick."

"I'm a fast learner," I respond with just as much confidence.

She then scoffs as if she remembered her task at hand, "Regardless, I died and you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time." She takes another step closer to me we're now face to face, "It's time for you to wake up, Y/n." Her hand rises and it takes me too long to process what's about to unfold.

"Wait! I'm not done asking questions!"

"Doesn't matter."

Her index finger sticks out as her hand becomes leveled with my forehead. Sticking her hand out I see that her fingers are black as if they were soaked in paint. I make a mental note to ask about that later. Her fingers shimmer purple when I feel a sharp flick but it's to late because I understand what happened, I'm already falling into the deep dark.