33: The Boar Hunting

Start from the beginning

Som, "Why are you interrogating now?"

"Because you two seem really close. Feels like you've known each other for quite some time."

"Same feels," said another voice walking in with his hands behind his back.

Som's heart skipped a beat. Even without looking, he could tell it was Kali. His voice, his shadow, and even his smell left a mark on the hippocampus of his brain that it would be difficult to take it off. As their eyes met, Som could only wish he knew less than what he knew now.

"Your Imperial Highness," Ilarion made another bow but lower before putting an arm around Som. "We've known each other for quite a while. Since that mission in Sage Lake Crossing, we've decided to keep in touch."

Som froze. So did Kali. He swore he saw the muscles on his jaw clenched, and he did his best to move away, but Ilarion pulled him closer, and Kali's eyes turned colder. Meanwhile, Irin and the twins were very confused about the scene.

"Your Imperial Highness," Irin curtseyed along with the twins. "We've finally met."

Now, it was Som's turn to watch the prince look at Irin, whose beauty outshines everyone in the field. Yes, as much as he hated to admit it, the woman was indeed a beauty. Her slender figure and light brown complexion created an interesting mix that it was easy to understand why she was famous in The Valley.

Kali nod once. Briefly. "Sri's chief advisor."

"You know?" Irin was impressed.

"I heard."

When she giggled, it sounded more like she was flirting, and Som was annoyed again. He removed Ilarion's arm around him and attempted to walk away, but Kali was quick and grabbed hold of his arm.

"Can we talk?"

He narrowed his gaze. "Now you want to talk?"

Kali sighed as he detected the sarcasm in his tone. "I have my reason."

"Great, so do I." Som freed himself from his grasp and continued walking away. He was followed by the twins and Ilarion, whom the prince glared at, then Irin, who smiled back at the royal.

✧༺♥༻∞

Som continued to grumble aloud as he walked, complaining about how Kali wanted to talk after snubbing him for a few days without any explanation for the sudden change in his attitude. As he did so, his feet were stomping on the ground like a spoiled child having a tantrum.

"Is he alright?" Irin was watching him worriedly and murmured beside Ilarion.

Ilarion turned to Irin, and even if he wasn't attracted to girls, he must admit that he did a great job creating her character. Although he did picture an actress in mind, this one was prettier. "He's fine. Just a little jealous—" Oops.

Irin's brows furrowed as he looked at him. "Jealous?" Even the twins looked, waiting for an answer. "Why would he be jealous? And to whom?"

Instead of listening to adults' "boring" conversation, the twins run towards Som, and each one of them holds a hand. He gazed down at the two menaces from each side and felt their warm tug that he managed to calm down.

"Som, stopped being an idiot for once," said Jiniel, which shocked him.

"The dude told us you're jealous," Elunia added before he could even inquire and pointed at Ilarion, who was now talking with Irin.

That imbecile! He thought. Ilarion just wouldn't shut his mouth. "I'm not jealous! Why would I be jealous? There's no reason for me to be jealous—" he stopped when he realized that he now sounded defensive.