The Party

Steven sat in his spot in Foreman's basement wishing the night would be over. He sighed miserably and looked over at Fez who sat on the couch. It was as if he was a flame and these girls were moths. They buzzed around him, as they sipped on the beer that was making them tipsy. They stroked his chest and legs as they laughed at whatever came out of Fez's mouth. He looked over at Hyde with a huge smile. Hyde nodded and gave an encouraging smile back. He was happy someone was enjoying the party. He looked over to Eric and Donna who sat in the corner. Eric whispered into Donna's ear causing her to giggle and punch him in the arm. Why would they even throw him this sort of party? Why should they care about his relationship status? If he wanted a girlfriend he could get one no problem. He didn't need a push from his so-called friends. There were so many girls at this party. They were all insecure, Hyde could tell. They weren't confident, they had nothing going for them. That immediately turned Hyde off. If he was going to hook up with someone, they needed to know who they were.

Lauren sat upstairs in the living room flipping through a magazine. Saying she was bored was an understatement. There was nothing on TV, all of her friends were busy, and her brother Eric banned her from the basement for the night so she couldn't annoy the rest of the group. She never could figure out why Eric banned her from the basement, she was the same age as him. She couldn't drink a few beers and watch the girls swoon over Hyde? That was her favorite pastime, and her brother stole it away. The bass from the basement stereo boomed and Lauren could feel it on the couch. She knew that bass from anywhere. They were listening to The Doors without her.

"That's it!" She threw the magazine and stood up from the couch. She walked slowly to the basement door, hearing the faint sounds of giggles coming from below. She'd hide in the corner, and stay out of Eric's line of sight. She opened the door and crept down slowly. She stopped mid-flight and looked down at the events below. Her eyes scanned over Eric, Donna, and Fez and stopped on Steven who sat in his usual spot. She studied his appearance. He was closed off to everyone here. She didn't blame him, it looked like a lame party. She walked down the rest of the stairs, destined to make her way to Hyde before Eric caught her. She placed a hand on his shoulder, and he looked up, meeting her eyes.

"Nice party." She smirked sarcastically. He rolled his eyes playfully at her words.

"It's very stupid." His voice was monotone, which made Lauren chuckle.

"Oh come on! You've got dozens of girls who'd die to be your girlfriend."

"I'd settle on you if you were one of them." He flirted with her. She rolled her eyes and scoffed.

"In your dreams, Floyd Boy." Hyde always hated that nickname, but when it came out of her mouth he didn't mind it all that much. Lauren crouched down next to his chair. "Why don't you bring a few beers up to my room? I have a bag of oregano that needs attending to." Hyde caught her drift and nodded vigorously. She stood up from her spot and quickly made her way back upstairs and to her door. She opened it quickly and looked around scanning for anything that shouldn't be seen. She picked up a few dirty pieces of clothes and threw them into her hamper. She closed the closet door, grabbed her bag of weed, and opened her bedroom window. She carefully crawled out and got comfortable as she waited for Hyde to show. Only seconds later did she hear him climb up the storm drain. He sat down next to her trying to catch his breath as he handed a can to her. She smiled and opened it slowly.

"So you didn't like your party huh?" Lauren asked, trying to make conversation. As she did, she handed Hyde the bag which he opened and started to roll.

"No, honestly I wish they'd just stay out of my business.:" He said while focusing on finishing the joint. He brought it up to his lips and licked the paper, tightly securing the pot. Lauren pulled a blue lighter out of her pocket and held it up toward Hyde. He placed the join between his lips and bent down letting the flame burn the paper. He inhaled deeply before passing it to Lauren.

"They just want to see you happy." Lauren voiced her idea.

"They don't know my type though." He answered quietly, taking the joint from her.

"Well, what is Steven Hyde's type?"

"You," He flirted towards the girl. She chuckled, not believing he was serious.

"So your type are girls who are a mess and don't know what they are doing with their lives?" She asked sarcastically. Hyde shook his head.

"No, my type are girls who believe in being themselves and don't try to change for anyone. You man, are that type of girl." He took a drag before finishing. "Plus you're confident, which is a plus." He said too casually. Lauren furrowed her eyebrows at the boy.

"Are you being serious?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" She looked straight ahead, not sure exactly what to do.

"I don't think you know me all that well."

"I think I know you better than you think." More confusion crossed her mind. "You'll learn in time."