Chapter 6

Upon entering her room, (Y/n) began her search — frantically. She had a job to do. She tore her room apart, from scattering her pillows and her bedsheets to scanning her eyes underneath her bed thoroughly to throwing her clothes out of her closet. She checked every corner of her desk. No cameras in sight. The fearful girl looked up, to see if there was maybe something in the walls, but there was unfortunately, or fortunately, nothing there. She checked the concealed areas behind her curtains but to no avail.

Sighing, she slumped down onto her bed hopelessly. She rested her palms onto the mattress as she positioned her arms behind her to hold her up, and looked up briefly before her eyes wandered downwards to her feet. She paused for a moment, realising that she had picked something rather curious up from her peripheral vision. The small air vent that sat diagonally opposite from her bed, right next to her desk.

She left her bed, and slowly walked towards it. Surely... No, it can't be in there of all places, she thought. She placed her fingers onto the edges of the air vent, and slowly removed it. Nothing. Nothing was there. She placed the air vent back into its usual position and took a few clothes from the floor where she had flung them a few minutes prior. She walked to the bathroom, hoping that a shower would relax her nerves.

Camera aside, everything was crumbling in her life. The fact that a best-friend-obsessed psycho was on the cusp of ending her if she didn't become a tactician, the fact that that same obsessed psycho worked at her job, one of the only ways she would've not been bothered just to tail her, as well as him possibly implanting a recording device into her room to steal information about her life. She thought of someone coming into her house through means she had no idea of, and it made her feel disgusted, violated. Even if there weren't any cameras, what way could he possibly have known so much about her?

Her thoughts slowly dissipated as she felt the warm water droplets hit her back, and she closed her eyes. She felt like she was cornered into a dead end by a pack of dark-faced wolves.

What she hadn't known, however, was that somewhere, in the deep, dark area in the realm of the unknown, something malevolent and sinister had been watching her back when she was in her bedroom, something she never would've ever anticipated.

A new week started, and an exhausted (Y/n) trudged through the grass beside a flawless Ayato. She couldn't stand how well put-together he was all the time, like a porcelain doll, while she stood next to him looking the opposite. In public, it was impossible to dive into his true, depraved nature. He seemed like the 'model' student. His walk, a graceful stride, his posture, smooth and perfect. His eyes would glisten in the sunlight, and they would become like a midnight sky with a sea of stars. When the two were alone though, it was like night and day.

She was forced to get to know him a bit more during work, because of how bored she was. She learnt that he had a mother and father, but no siblings. His parents were abroad for urgent reasons, which left him on his own for a year and possibly more. According to him, it was perfectly fine though — comfortable even. He was self sufficient; he could cook, he was proficient in cleaning, and he didn't have to worry about money because his parents would send it digitally at the end of every month.

He described his father peculiarly, and said that his father looked very similar to him, and how he had the same bloodthirsty ambitions as he did growing up just for the sake of his mother. His mother, however, was quite the personality, based on how he described her. She was kind and sweet, and rather energetic. Ayato said it was the reason why his father fell for her in the first place, and why he never let go.

She couldn't imagine how such a kind person could coexist with a monster, and the monster being her own son. Maybe she wasn't even aware of what he was really like, maybe he snuck under the radar like all those murder cases (Y/n) heard on her podcasts.

"(L/n)." Ayato said, glancing down at the girl as she seemed deep in thought, "Don't space out. After all, today is the day you're going to introduce me to Senpai."

"Ah, yes." She said, a sinking feeling plaguing her belly, "That." She walked quietly for a few more moments, and then she spoke again, "Meet with me at the beginning of Lunch. That's when Taeko and I sit together and talk about things we did over the week. I can introduce you then, as the person who liked the same book as her."

"She's so close, I can almost feel it." He said, "Spending time with her is something I couldn't have dreamed of a month ago, and now it's going to be a reality. I suppose I should thank you."

"No worries." She said, 'Just as long as you don't kill me' she wanted to add. She knew he wasn't feeling actual gratitude, but his acknowledgement of her meant that he'd at least not get rid of her for now, which bought her time.

When Lunch finally rolled around, (Y/n) planned to take Ayato to Taeko as promised.

"What do I say to her when I first meet her? Do I talk first, or does she talk first? Maybe this isn't a good idea, maybe I'm not ready today." Ayato seemed troubled, opposed to his usual cool and collected outward appearance.

"You'll be fine." She reassured him in whatever way she could, she paused for a moment, thinking of what to say, before she broke her own silence, "You're rather charming when you speak to people, like when we're at work. I've seen it first hand, in a day or two you've single-handedly become the cafe's beloved. I'm sure you could work your way around being close to Taeko as well."

"Are...you sure?" She looked up at his face as he looked down at hers, a light blush painting his usually pale face. She'd never expected him to have such an emotion, or his facial expression displaying that emotion, but being near Ayato was a new experience every day.

Anyone from afar would've called it cute, but (Y/n) couldn't when she knew the context of everything.

"It's just that, whenever I'm near her, whenever I'm walking past her, I become nervous. My heartbeat becomes so loud that I can't hear anything other than it. My vision becomes cloudy—"

"I will be there to guide you through it. If you feel as though you're becoming too nervous, I will nudge your arm to snap you out of it. Just, follow my lead. First and foremost, Taeko's a human, keep that at the forefront of your mind, and you'll probably feel less worried." She couldn't believe she was giving relationship advice to a possible future murderer, but there she was.

Hopefully, if she could slip him past his original plan, if arresting him failed, she could prevent him from ever hurting anyone and just living peacefully with Taeko. But, would she really be okay with her best friend loving someone if that nature? Everything just felt like a moral dilemma.

"(Y/n)!" She heard an comforting, familiar voice call out.