Day 3: "It doesn't matter"

Start from the beginning

Ever since that day, Cale spend most of his time searching for and and playing Rok Soo. Cale wasn't as lonely or bored anymore. It's given he has to act like Rok Soo wasn't there when somebody come to check on him but for the most part he was alone and able to be with Rok Soo. As time goes on, he gradually able to see the defining feature Rok Soo had.

Firstly, he saw a sillhoutte of Rok Soo's overall appearance. The Rok Soo's hair color was seen, it was a pretty jet black. Little by little, Cale was able to see parts of Rok Soo that he wasn't able to see before.

At 18 years old, it was both the best and worst year of his life. After 4 years of being with a vaguely looking Rok Soo, Cale finally had a clear view on how Rok Soo look.

Rok Soo had slick black hair and styled messily yet not so messy. It looked so good on him. His reddish brown eyes was just like Cale and that was the most captivating eye colour he had ever seen. He doesn't give a damn if someone appear with Sapphire or Ruby eyes, he would still say that Rok Soo's eyes are the prettiest he had ever seen.Rok Soo also had a stoic yet gentle expression that reminded Cale of his late mother.

At the same time, it was at 18 that Cale was given the news that he got the same illness as his mother and that he will likely face the same fate as her since there is no cure. He doesn't know how to react to that.

He can distantly hear his father lashing out at the doctor for saying such thing but Cale felt numb. He is going to face the same fate as his mother..what can he possibly do?

That night, after Cale was left alone in his room, Rok Soo appeared. Unlike usual, today Rok Soo had a gloomy face as if he was guilty for something.

"Rok Soo..what's wrong?" Cale asked feeling concerned for his only friend.

Rok Soo may not be visible to other people but he is visible to Cale and that's all that matter.

"I..just found out what I am." Rok Soo said still with a gloomy face.

"But?" Cale prompted since this type of sentence usually have a continuation. Plus, if it was a good thing, Rok Soo wouldn't have looked like this.

"I am a grim reaper. Someone who collect death." Rok Soo said.

Cale was stunned. His best friend is a grim reaper? But wait, if Cale had been able to see Rok Soo since two years ago and he only gains more clarity on what Rok Soo looks like over the years, doesn't that mean--?

"I've..been dying since well over four years ago." Cale concluded.

Rok Soo nodded.

"I just found out about this recently too. I'm sorry." Rok Soo apologised.

"What are you sorry for? You didn't play a part in me dying." Cale was confused with the sudden apology.

"But I still played a part, if I wasn't here I'm sure your health would deteriorated at a slower rate." Rok Soo explained which, in Cale's opinion is a bunch of nonsense.

"Rok Soo, I would die sooner or later. If you're not here, I'm simply going to die later in boredom. I rather have you here with me even if it meant that I'm going to die sooner. You're the only thing that mattered to me." Cale said as he took a step further toward Rok Soo.

"Moreover.." Cale smirked as he was right in front of Rok Soo. "I'm not going to waste my remaining time by moping around would I?"

Rok Soo stared right back at Cale. "Right. What are you going to do now?" He asked curiously.

"First of all...let's get away from here." Cale said as he opens up the window. Just as he opens it up, he jumped out the window, landing right on the bush that cushioned his fall.

Rok Soo appeared beside him, hovering over Cale to check if he was alright. Cale immediately assured the reaper that he was alright and began to sneak out of the mansion.

Once he got out of the mansion, his destination was the common market or else known as the plaza. He walked leisurely to the plaza with Rok Soo by his side, still invisible to other people.

The plaza was full of life, full of people and loud. Everywhere he turned to, there were people screaming out the prices for their products.

Every night from that day on, Cale would sneak out to go to the plaza. It doesn't matter if he got too weak to walk by the time he got there, it doesn't matter that in the plaza the food isn't as delicious as the one at the mansion, it doesn't matter if some commoner child bumped into him.

All that matter is that he went to that plaza, enjoy being alive and forget his status as a noble. With Rok Soo (still invisible) by his side, anything and everything is interesting.

As he was walking around, a drop of water fell on him. Then another. And another. Eventually drops of water turns into a downpour, soaking his clothes. The stalls are closing in a hurry, screamings were heard in the midst of people scrambling for a place to shelter from the rain while he stood there.

The clothes he wore clings to his skin but he pays no mind to it.

"Cale. It's raining heavily, would you like an umbrella?" Rok Soo asked as he watched Cale smiling in the rain even when he is soaking wet.

"Umbrella? I don't need such thing." Cale said as he looked upward.

"It's cold. You're shivering." Rok Soo pointed out.

"I know. And I don't mind." Cale answered with a smile.

In the midst of the rain, two being stood still. A grim reaper and a terminally ill patient. One not showing any obvious expression while the other was smiling brightly. It was only them in the middle of the street.

"Rok Soo. Care for a dance with me?" Cale asked as he offered his hand.

"I don't know how."

"Just follow my lead." Cale said as he took Rok Soo's cold hand.

It was weird. Before, he couldn't touch Rok Soo but now he could. In truth, he figured it out already. Each time he was able to do something more with Rok Soo, the closer he is to death.

The two danced under the rain as time the time is ticking closer to the fated date. It was magical, like a dance from the fairy tail. It's cold, but Cale feel extremely warm inside. He is dancing with his best friend and the one he can't help but fell in love with.

Who can blame him when Rok Soo is so understanding and kind? His appearance is a bonus but it was his personality that Cale fell hard for.

They spend the next half an hour dancing and laughing. To an outside it may look like Cale went insane talking and dancing by himself but it doesn't matter. Nothing else matter after tonight anyway.

Both Cale and Rok Soo know Cale wouldn't make it past tonight. Tonight is his last outing in his entire life. Such a shame his life will end when he just turned 18 but that was how life is.

By the time Cale got back home he was already so weak. He then changed into the most comfortable clothing he have and laid down on bed.

He weakly looked at Rok Soo who is beside his bed. He smiled as he looked at Rok Soo.

"Rok Soo...it won't hurt,right?" Cale asked softly.

"I won't make it painful, I promise." Rok Soo said as he readied his sycthe while holding back tears.

If you asked the 18 years old Cale about death, he will say that death is kind and isn't scary anymore.