Episode 20: Grounded

~(Flashback)~
~(Age: 13)~

I storm into the Tennyson household, "Where is he?" I ask, Carl looks at me nervously. "Now, Y/N-" "Don't BS me, Carl, tell me where Benji is!" I demand, Carl flinches. Ben and I were supposed to have a date at the arcade, but he never showed up. I know for a fact Ben wouldn't just stand me up, "Y/N, you can't just barge in and tell me what to do." Carl sighs, he can't even look at me "Oh? Since when?" I say, usually I try to avoid being this hostile with Carl, but I need to see Ben and Carl's an obstacle. "Just tell me where Ben is." I sigh, trying to calm down and not trigger my powers.

"He's grounded."

Carl and I both turn to look at Sandra. She walks up and stands beside Carl, "I'm sorry, Y/N, I know you two had a date, but Ben's grounded." She states "Grounded? What did he do?" I ask "He didn't clean his room." Sandra sighs disappointedly. Really, that's it? "Can I...see him?" I ask hopefully "Nope. He's grounded for a week." Sandra states sternly "A week?!" I gasp. I have to go a whole week without Ben?! "But-" "Don't try to play lawyer, Y/N. Ben's grounded and that's that. I'd recommend you hang out with your others friends." Sandra says sternly "What other friends? Benji's the only one I have!" I whine, Sandra smiles "Well, now is the time to make some new ones." She says.

I huff and walk out of the Tennyson household, once I was far enough, I teleport into Ben's room. He looks at me in surprise, "N/N-" "Shh!" I whisper. "I talked to your parents." I whisper "I know. I could hear the fear in Dad's voice from here...sorry about missing our date." Ben says in a hushed tone "You didn't miss our date." I state, Ben shoots me a confused look, "I didn't?" He asks, "Nope. Our date's still on." I say confidently. "N/N, I'm grounded. I can't leave." Ben sighs "If I can sneak in, I can definitely you sneak out." I say confidently. "How?" Ben asks, I raise an eyebrow at him and shoot him a look that says "Really?", he stares at me in confusion before gasping, "Oh right! Your powers!" He says in a hush tone. I mentally facepalm...

This is the love of my life...and I'm proud of that fact.

"Yep, that's right, I'm breaking you out of here." I whisper "But what if Mom comes to check on me?" Ben asks quietly. "I'll ask Mom to keep them busy." I say "She would do that?" He asks "It's my mom. Of course she would." I snort "Oh..." Ben says, I hook my arm around his, "Come on, Benji. We got an arcade date to get to." I say with a toothy grin. Ben grins too and I teleport us out of his room.

~Now~
~Author's POV~

"He's such a good boy." Sandra says with a smile, Carl glances at her "Ben Tennyson is not a good boy," He corrects before grinning proudly "He's a great boy! I don't know if it's bad karma to pat ourselves on the back, Sandra, but we've gone a pretty good job as parents." "Well, we haven't stifled him. Allowing a child to explore the wholeness of his entire being-"

Sandra slams on the breaks when something explodes in front of them. Carl and Sandra get out of the car and stare at the flames with concerned frowns, a Highbreed looms over them, Sandra stands in front of Carl protectively. Balls of Mana start hitting the Highbreed, Carl grabs Sandra's hands and pulls her away from the danger. You and Ben run on the other side of the street, you two head straight for the Highbreed, Carl and Sandra notice, "Hey, kids! You're going the wrong..." Carl trails off, his eyes widen. "Y/N? Ben?!" He gasps, Sandra stare with wide eyes. Sandra and Carl start calling out to you two.

"Ben! Y/N!"
"Stop!"
"Wait!"

A large bit of rubble crashes in front of them, causing them to duck behind a building. They watch the two of you, your hands glow F/C while Ben hits down on the Omnitrix. He turns into Swampfire, "Swampfire!" He shouts, Sandra and Carl watch with wide eyes "...Ben?" Sandra mumbles...