ACT I: CHAPTER ONE: SHIP TO WRECK

Start from the beginning

            But it hardly matters now, though, for one day, she had decided, one day many months ago whilst standing on the balcony of her hotel room back in the heat that hasn't so much as looked in the general direction of England, that these same people will be on their knees begging for her mercy, swearing their allegiance, submitting to her as she will be their Queen. This same clinical swot with the sharp and freshly cut black bob, will rule their every decision, and she will do so with such ease that they will all thank her being so coldly detached from emotions. It's their small saviour, as there will be no delight taken in hearing their cries for death once she's done with them.

                        ***

            Troy and Felix are her first guests ever, and as she opens the door to find the two of them armed with bottles of alcohol, any knowledge of how to be a good hostess flees her. It's been a long year, she realises, taking notice of their clasped hands, and it seems it's been a good one for the two of them. Piper isn't sure whether she could have subjected herself to more time watching the two of them skirt around their feelings for each other.

            Troy hugs her, of course he does, his penchant for human contact having formed soon after they met, his long pale arms wrapping around her shoulders, her nose pressed against his coat—goddamn-it-Piper-it's-not-a-fucking-cardigan—which is an unflattering shade of green. His hair isn't as shockingly blonde as it had been a year ago, forming a less offensive white blonde which doesn't hurt her eyes whenever she has to look at it. "You've cut your hair," he says, fingers running through it. She scowls, slapping his hand away, taking back her personal space and moving away from him.

            "Hi, Piper," Felix says from behind Troy's shoulder, as though he hasn't known her since she was thirteen, and she wasn't the one opening up her home to him when his brother went AWOL and left him in the house on his own for two months. But that's Felix, a lonely type of guy, who likes to blend into the shadows, utterly forgettable when he wants to be—brown hair, brown eyes, average height—which is why he's been able to become the powerhouse that he is. It's not surprising that he and Troy got together, Troy being the only one stubborn enough to believe he would change all of Felix's characteristics to mould him into his dream guy, which isn't actually possible.

            "God, Felix, you've got something on your mouth and I'm going to be fucking sick if you don't wipe it off." Piper snaps at him, face screwing because it wasn't even something identifiable, but undoubtedly food he'd eaten earlier, some of it leaving behind a mark on his face. This is his greeting, though, and whilst Felix blushes, wiping at his mouth with the back of his hand, Troy laughs.

            "Good to have you back. Ladies and Gentlemen, Piper Williams has returned."

                        ***

            Troy, ever the one to completely misunderstand social acceptances and cues, decides for both himself and Felix, that they will spend the night to offer Piper some form of company. She has watched him knock back almost two bottles of wine by himself, ignoring all of Felix's blatant hints of the two of them leaving and retiring for the night—I'm sure Piper must be tired, she's had such a long night, we should let Piper get settled for the night, I'm sure Piper's had enough of us already—as though Piper wants Troy here much longer for him to obliterate her favourite songs by slurring them loudly, out of tune, with red wine dribbling down his chin and onto her clean floors.

            Yet, when Troy passes out, muttering Felix's name on repeat under his breath, the hideous coat serving as a buffer between him and the floor – Piper and Felix are then responsible for sorting out a sleeping arrangement until Piper gets some furniture.