𝙚𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩𝙮 𝙛𝙤𝙪𝙧.

Start from the beginning

"Having fun, babe?" Charlotte wondered, plastering a smile onto her face despite the heaviness she was feeling. "Thought this was gonna be a little thing?"

Rafe shot her a wink as he leaned into the car, pressing a kiss to her lips. "People just started showing up." He murmured, "Couldn't turn them away now could I?"

Pushing him back slightly, Charlotte let out a small laugh. "No, of course not. That would be just ridiculous."

"Exactly." Rafe agreed, holding onto the door. His eyes strayed to Charlotte's phone that she had discarded in her lap. "Who were you texting?"

"My mom." Charlotte lied, "Wanted to remind me about their anniversary party tomorrow night. Which, by the way you're coming to."

Rafe quirked a brow, "Oh, am I?"

Lightly pushing him out of the way, Charlotte stepped onto the driveway, pressing her lips to his cheeks. "Absolutely."

Rafe caught her around the waist, holding her close as he smiled down at her. "Well then I'll be there."

Smiling up at him, Charlotte already felt ten times better than she did two minutes ago. For as hectic as he made her life sometimes, Rafe also did a hell of a job of taking her mind off of things. 

But just as quickly as he mood had improved, it had fallen once again as her eyes landed on one of the cars in the driveway. She would recognize its God awful colour anywhere. After all, she'd spent the last three years riding shotgun. 

"What the hell is she doing here?" She demanded, pulling away from Rafe so quickly it startled him. 

He furrowed his brows, glancing over his shoulder as if expecting to see the she in question. "What?"

Charlotte jabbed her finger in the direction of the car, "Kensington." She bit out, her ex-best friend's name tasting like poison on her lips. "What is she doing here?"

Rafe's eyes widened slightly as he shook his head, "I didn't invite her." He insisted. "Cade brought her maybe...I'm not sure."

Letting out a grow, Charlotte threw her head back. "Cade's here too?"

"Relax." Rafe prompted, reaching out to brush the hair from her face. "It's a big house. You can avoid them."

Shooting him a glare, Charlotte turned her back to him, throwing open the back of the Rover. "Help me take these kegs in will you? Then I'm going to drown myself in the pool."

When Rafe didn't move fast enough, Charlotte began the feat by herself. 

"Woah, just wait!" Rafe demanded, swooping to her side to help lift the keg from the back. "You're going to hurt yourself."

The muscles in Charlotte's arms flared as she took the brunt of weight, much to Rafe's chagrin. She barely looked at him as they carried the keg toward the front door. 

"Okay," Rafe declared, dropping his side of the keg. "We're not doing this."

"Jesus, Rafe!" Charlotte snapped, almost dropping the keg on her foot once he let go. "A little warning would be nice."