CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

Começar do início

My eyes widened. "That—That—It can't be possible."

"Of course it can. Our powers come from within. You used all your energy—almost killing yourself in the process and this was the consequences. Your body needed to recover so it fell into a coma."

I lay back, pressing a hand against my temple. As the tattoo-like pattern in my hand glimmered against the light from the chandelier above, I narrowed my eyes in confusion.

"I never believed our blood lines would once again unite."

I stared at my mom, not understanding one word.

"Your grandmother told me many stories...stories passed on to each generation—I thought—I didn't think—" She squeezed her lips shut and looked away. "I should have told you everything as she did to me, but I didn't see any of the signs. Lana and you seemed so human."

"What do these marks mean?"

She backed up and stood up straight, raising her shirt enough for me to see golden tribal marks forming a wolf, one identical to mine. "A royal mark."

"A royal mark?"

She nodded. "Every wolf with royal blood coursing through their veins has it."

"You're wrong. Aaron doesn't..." My voice trailed off as I realized what she was implying. "Aaron is the son of the king."

"Aaron is royal...there is no doubt about that. Our marks are not visible to human eyes."

"Jack has one."

"Yes, because he is part of the Night Crawlers pack...as you are part of the Blue Moon pack."

"No." I shook my head. "Jackson is a hybrid."

"We were allies long ago...before everything happened. Six royals families...." Her voice trailed off as she stared into the distance. "Isabella was Jackson's mother and she was betrothed to Nicolas, but she fell for a noble vampire. When Nicolas discovered her betrayal, he killed the vampire. Not long after, Isabella discovered she was pregnant and ran away with the help of her best friend, Alison...our ancestor. It is said that Nicolas grew outraged and attacked the other royals...killing them all and taking over their packs."

"What has happened while I have been asleep?"

"Lana shifted."

I smiled. "But she is a child."

"A very unique royal wolf."

I was happy that my baby sister had accepted the change. "I want to see her."

"She is out, but she will be back soon."

"With who?"

"Jackson. As a wolf, she hates being locked up in here, staring at the beautiful forest from her room, so he takes her out every day...Of course, with plenty of others. It is not safe to be out there alone."

"How is Bonnie doing? Everyone?" My eyes narrowed. "Where is Father?"

Mom looked away. "The hatred planted in his heart toward our species is too great. I was a fool to believe his love was unconditional."

Tears enveloped my eyes. "He needs time."

"It's been two years, sweetie." Her eyes revealed the turmoil within. "Get some rest."

"Mom, I have been asleep for almost two years. I don't need rest." I swung my legs but froze as the door slid open to reveal Jack and Lana holding his hand. Her eyes lit up and she ran to me. I hugged her, giving her many kisses. It was still hard to believe they were actually here with me and all thanks to Jack.