[ 008 ] heart to heart

Start from the beginning

Silence engulfed the room as majority of the group faced at Miles with a look no further from admiration and surprise. The boy's short speech had provided a tender web of ambition and gratitude to weave through the atmosphere, and though nobody had known the boy for long enough to be deemed trustworthy, belief and confidence grew behind their gazes.

The green-eyed girl raised her eyebrows with a light nod, impressed at the boy's words as she offered a hand out to Gwen who took it gratefully. Placing a hand on the blonde's back, the two stabilised each other for a moment; the affects of the previous incident still lingering in their blood.

"...who are you again?"

Peter groaned at Noir's words, "this is Miles!" He exclaimed with pride, "And he's gonna save the multiverse!" He stated, his eyes burning with honesty and satisfaction for the younger boy.

"Yeah, man." Miles grinned, his lips upturned with faint smugness as he glanced at the variety of vigilantes and heroes before him. He shoved his hands into his pockets, warmth circling his chest in a cycle of pride.

Jumping up from his kneeling position, Peter quickly stumbled his way over to where the boy stood, slinging a hand over his shoulder and grasping his arm with the other. He shook Miles gently as he did so, beaming like a father who was unconditionally proud of his son's achievements. "This kid can turn himself invisible. Watch this!" Peter pointed a finger to the boy as he encouraged the group's faith in the boy. "He can do it now!"

He stepped back, hands outstretched towards Miles in excitement, though all that resounded was a loud grunt. Miles closed his eyes tightly, extending his arms and trying to summon the translucency that had painted his skin multiple times before. Yet nothing continued to happened and he instead shoved his hands into his jacket pockets before glancing back up to Peter. "I can't do it on command."

"He can't do it on command!" Peter repeated, his tone never dropping in astonishment. Even as the curious expressions of the others fell, Peter continued to support the boy without a second thought. "But it is cool. Show 'em the zappy thing, Miles."

From beside Gwen, Felicity glanced at the man in confusion, "what's a zappy thing?" She questioned, dumbfounded.

"Oh, just you wait and see, Pip, you're gonna love this!" Peter beamed, pointing an overly confident finger in the girl's direction before turning back to his young protégé. "C'mon, Miles."

Once again the boy squeezed his eyes closed and tensed all his muscles, though similarly to before, nothing out of the ordinary occurred. He glanced back to Peter whilst repeating his words, "I can't do it on command."

With a chuckle breaking through his voice, the words, "he can't do it on command." Rippled through Peter's tone, no less blissful as they had been when he first ordered the boy to display his abnormal abilities. "But he can do so much more!"

In front of the man, a very unamused and highly disinterested Noir, Peni, Porker, and Gwen all stared with unimpressed scowls upon their faces. The only one who hadn't adorned the look of irritation was the dark-haired girl as she continued to ponder about what a 'zappy thing' was whilst giving Peter and Miles a half-assed thumbs up.

"What else can you do?" Peter continued to pester, shunning his back to the group and instead turning to stare back at miles with expectancy.

Miles held up two fingers with a lighthearted shrug of his shoulders, "just those two things." He replied, nonchalance bleeding through his tone as his lips tugged upwards.

"Just those two things!" Repeated Peter, his back now facing Miles as he copied the boy's action and held up two fingers to the group, still adorning his smiley-as-ever expression.