Payal shook her head. "You're right, a simple sorry won't change what happened. And you're not the one who's supposed to be apologising. It's Arnav Singh Raizada who owes her an apology. Is this how he treats all employees? Poor Khushi, running around to bearing the entire household's expenses on her shoulders."

"Household expenses?"

Payal nodded. "I've told her multiple times not to ruin her health for saving money. But where does that girl listen. Between Buaji's pension, the sweet shop, her tuitions and my job, we were doing just fine. But ever since my wed--" 

Payal stopped herself, controlling her words. "Ever since we moved from Lucknow, she's been running around town."

Aakash chose his next words carefully. "Is she trying to take responsibility for something?"

Payal's eyes clouded as she remembered the harsh words Buaji and Garima hurled at Khushi, blaming her for stopping Payal's marriage. 

Even after Payal practically thanked her for getting her marriage halted to that gold digger, Khushi took that incident to heart.

There had been a lot of money spent for the wedding, a ridiculous amount. They had no savings left for an emergency, something Payal accidentally let slip in front of Khushi when she was sorting through the bills.

Since then, Khushi turned into this workaholic that barely slept for four hours, running herself thin.

"Despite being the eldest, it hurts to see my younger sister go through so much." Payal answered after a long pause.

"Don't get me wrong, but it hurts us younger siblings to see our elders take up all the responsibility. We want to help too. Whenever elders say, 'you're too young to understand' or 'you don't have to worry about it', that helplessness that one feels, hurts a lot."

"We just want the younger ones to be happy."

"And we want to be useful."

Aakash's words felt weighted. Neither spoke a word until Aakash pulled up in Laxmi nagar.

"Thanks for dropping me."

Aakash smiled at her. "Anytime Payal-ji."

"Jij......JIJI!"

Payal was shaken out of her reverie, a confused Khushi waving her hand in front of her face. "Jiji, kaha kho gayi tum?" [In which la la land where you lost in?]

Payal shook her head and praying Aakash keeps his promise, she waved goodbye to Khushi and turned to get her work done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------