Chapter 1

"We got.. scammed?"

Hindi ako makapaniwala sa mga narinig ko. I got a call from my mother in the middle of the night, so I headed over to the house instantly.

And this was the news I received. At one point our business was doing well, but then suddenly everything is sinking! I stared at my mother who was crying her eyes out. I don't know how it even got to this point. "Should we borrow money from the bank?" I suggested. Nag-angat ng tingin si Mom ngunit yumuko muli at nagpatuloy na umiyak. "Paano? They wouldn't approve it!" she yells.

I frowned. "Why not?"

"We still haven't.. paid the bank from the previous-"

"P-previous?!" My eyes widened in shock. I am still knowing about all of these stuff, they didn't bother telling me that they had borrowed money from the bank. Just when I recently quit from my job, then this happened. "Oh Zey, they will take all our properties and our business!" mother continues to speak shakily as well.

Am I cursed?

My mother continued to sob while I try my very best to figure out what to do onwards.

A few days had passed, I was looking at myself in the mirror while brushing off the invisible dust on my black pencil skirt. Thankfully, I bought it beforehand to look presentable enough to my previous job interview. Never thought I would get a chance to wear this again since I promised myself to create my own business and live happily as my business grow, but I guess it won't be happening any time soon. With a heavy sigh, I went outside of the house and the hot weather was like a slap in the face.

Of course, I was still in disbelief.

My parents were devastated.. most especially, my father since he was the one who used our properties as a collateral for the bank, borrowed money from who knows where and lastly, invested in something huge which ultimately failed. He has always been reckless and impulsive as to running the business, Lolo J would've scolded him for it but he wasn't around anymore.

With the car that I bought from my own hardwork, I drove my way into the company I was going to apply in. I haven't really got the chance to further look into this company because I was running out of time, but what caught my attention was the salary pay. I have quite a few experiences with a clothing line company so I think I would be much qualified for any position.

And.. I didn't get the job.

Hooray, me! Serves me right for being so arrogant.

This is why I shouldn't be too confident nor celebrate too early. I really need to step up my game.. but how?

There is literally no chance-

My eyes followed a tall figure in the darkest part of the whole floor as they hurriedly tried to approach the elevator where I was standing in. Should I let the elevator door close? As soon as he was below the lights, he looked rather elegant. Maybe he'll allow me to work under them if I hold it open.. he seems like a high ranking person.

Who am I kidding? This is madness.

Just before the elevator closes, I placed my hand in between the doors. It opened right after it sensed movement and there enters the guy wearing a black suit and noticably black curly hair, he was about to push a button until his eyes landed on the 'B1' which I just pressed to get into basement one where I parked my car. He let out a sigh of relief, "I thought you were going to leave me there," He laughs sarcastically, glancing over to me. I cleared my throat while looking at every corner without him in it, "Um, sorry." was the only words that I could muster to say, then pressed my lips closed altogether. This is the perfect time to get a phone call and ignore this awkward silence.

"Are you new?"

I never expected him to try and speak again. "Nag-apply lang." I replied awkwardly, slowly stepping away from him. He put down the phone that he was using. "And you got accepted?" he asks, tilting his head in curiosity while staring at me.

I shook my head. "No."

"I figured. I don't remember any positions open for application anyway." his face leans in a bit closer to me. I frowned, my hands slowly sliding down inside my purse and attempt to find my pepper spray. Then I really went here for nothing. Suddenly, he backed away from where I was. "I apologize if I make you uncomfortable. I can't see very well." he explains calmly as he fixes his posture. I gave him a quick nod before the elevator pings and opened right after, he briefly glanced at me with a blank expression before walking out of the elevator. "Aren't you getting off?" he asked, raising an eyebrow at me. I looked around the dim underground parking lot nervously. "Yep." I whispered under my breath.

Oddly enough, it felt like he disappeared right after I got out of the elevator. It's probably for the better.

Twirling the keys using my index finger as I look for my car among other similar car designs, my hearing sense somehow tingled when I hear a faint voice not far from where I am. It would be rude to eavesdrop, but I probably wouldn't even return here ever again. I crept up silently towards the location of the voice, turns out.. he is just beside my car.

All I could see was his backside from where I currently stood, but I can tell that it was the guy from the elevator because of his physique. "I have no interest in getting married, and that's final."

There was a long pause before he spoke again.

"Damn it, for once, stop deciding for my life." he shouts in a frustrated tone, his other hand running through his curly hair. I realized he was on a phone call with someone. He calmed down a little, "This is a waste of both our time. I'm hanging up," he chuckled, bitterly.

Marriage, huh?

"Were you eavesdropping?" I hear him say which caused my eyes to widen in surprise, I instinctively hid from the side of a random car. Ako ba ang tinutukoy niya? What's the point, he already caught me. I confidently walked towards my car with an innocent look. "Sorry, what did you say?" I asked him in an apologetic tone. He looks at me for a moment, as if trying to see if I was lying or not. I kept on the oblivious expression on my face and stood my ground. "Ah, it's nothing." he pressed his lips close.

I grinned, as an idea came to mind.