Coming To Theaters Soon

Gunnar POV:

A camping trip, really? I heard the math club kids were going to Hawaii, and we get a camping trip? Even the math club kids get something cool and exciting to look forward to, and were the cool and exciting people at school. We should be the ones going to Hawaii. 

Just picture it. Coming to theaters soon, a story about the eight most exciting and cool kids in school (we're not so sure about Eden though, no offense) being murdered and bludgeoned in the woods. 

Honestly, I'd go to see that. I would spill all of my popcorn on the jump scares, and be terrified to sleep the next night, but I'd go to see it. Especially if Carlotta's in it (Although, lets be honest, she'd be the first to die, because she'd try to befriend the murderer).

"When are we going?" I ask, hoping I can weasel my way out.

"Sometime soon." Mrs. Lambert replies. "I wanted to save it as an end of year trip, but the principal said the Hawaii trip is end of year, so he wants our budget to be smaller at the beginning of the year. But were getting a brand new telescope!" She exclaims, and my insides just about die. 

The math club kids get budgets for margaritas and a fake tan and we get budgets for a telescope? You have to be kidding me.

Mateo and I share a look. The 'We have to get out of this' look. 

Mateo and I have been friends since a long time ago. I met him when I went with a group of friends to his parents' bowling alley, and we've been friends since. Not so close now, though. Were in our third year of high school; one more left to go! Since high school, we've grown apart and he's gotten a little more independent, while I've expanded my circle of friends, so we don't run in the same crowds any more. We talk now and then though.

"When we get up to Tailgate Point, we'll set up camp, and then go hiking, do some fishing maybe, try to find some wild life out there." Mrs. Lambert continues. "Won't that be fun?"

No one says anything, so she gives up.

"I think we'll be leaving next week. So we won't get much learning before the trip, but I will send permission form e-mails home to your parents. And I'll e-mail you all what you need to bring!" She sighs at our lack of enthusiasm.

"Why couldn't we have gone to Hawaii?" Heath grumbles, and Mrs. Lambert throws up her arms.

"Lack of enthusiasm!" She shouts. "Detention for all of you! Friday evening!"

Ugh.  

We all glare at Heath.

❤️❤️❤️

"Almost done?"

I look up to see Eden as she brings over the mop and bucket.

I only recently joined as a staff member at this bowling place; I need the money. Things at home aren't great, and I need to support my family in any way that I can.

So here I am, working at the Nine Pins Bowling Alley, where Eden also happens to work.

Argh.

I'm sure if I got to know her, Eden would be nice, but when it comes to being coworkers, she's annoying as frick. Doing everything down to a tee, and if I miss a spot waxing the lanes, she'll make me do it again. 

"Yeah." I nod, ready to mop up the arcade room area. "Thanks for bringing that over."

"No problem," She follows me as I take the mop to the arcade. "Damn though, I hope I can get a shift for when the nature trip comes up. I do not want to go to that." She groans, her raven haired ponytail swishing with a tilt of her head.

"Really?" I'm surprised to see even Eden doesn't want to come. "I thought at least you would think it's 'educational'." I air quote in midst of my mop.

Eden wrinkles her nose up unappreciatively. 

"Does everyone really think I'm the scholastic boring kid just because of my wardrobe and the fact that I don't go to parties?" She sighs, leaning against the Pac-Man machine.

Eden has that cleaned up, old money look about her, and usually wears outfits with soft colored sweaters and short checkered skirts, as if we go to some kind of private school or something, but I think she just likes to be in uniform. Always with the pale peach stockings, and polished black flats, and in all my life that I've known her (Like five years, I don't know) she's always had the same silky black waves for her hair, tied loosely without an elastic, slung over her shoulder. She's cute, to be honest, but we all know that I'm just paying her a compliment. I'm obviously kind of tied down with other... interests. 

Respectfully.

"You have the best grades in school." I shrug. "I guess people assume that you spend your weekends studying, if you have that kind of average. And the way you look is.."

Eden blushes, probably kind of offended.

"What's wrong with the way I look?" She grumbles, round, golden brown eyes staring me down with an annoyed raise of her eyebrow that, I never noticed until now, has a thin golden ring running through the side. It's kind of badass.

"Nothings wrong with the way you look. You just don't look like other people." I say nonchalantly. "And it's cute. A unique cute." I shrug again, trying not to give her the wrong idea. It's kind of hard being nice to people, in that way sometimes.

Eden doesn't say anything for a few beats, then tucks a silky tendril behind her ear.

"Thanks." She replies, probably thinking I was a better person than people said I was. At least, I hope.

I raise my gaze up to her, with a curious look on my face now.

"But hey, just curious; what do you do on weekends and in your spare time?" I  tilt the mop back and forth in my hands as a grin falls over my face.

"Wouldn't you like to know." She gives me a look, a bubbly laugh escaping her peachy pink lips. 

"Aw, come on, tell me." I nag. "I want to know what the mysterious and totally not boring Eden Sharp does in her free time." 

"It's not all that exciting." She rolls her eyes.

"Come on." I egg her on. "Can you tell me anything?"

"If you continue to be not a jerk like I expected you would be, then of course." She hums, pretending to think. "But... I do like the sound of mysterious."

She laughs brightly, and with a flourish of her checkered skirt, she leaves me with the mop.

But she turns around once more before exiting the arcade.

"Thanks for the chat, Gunnar." She smiles. "This camping trip might not be as bad as I expected with you around."