chapter 1

I was having a normal day walking home from an archery competition, I didn't live that far from the competition hall. My parents work for the government and are away from home a lot so my aunt decided to move in with us to be able to help out. On the walk home I was surrounded by a group of men. In the middle of them grabbing me I felt a strange feeling wash over me. Everything went dark. My sense of smell enhanced and my hearing sharpened. Through the pain I started to realize I am still in the ally way. I did have martial arts training from my parents but noticed I was moving faster. I was able to knock out all three men and ran the rest of the way home. I walked in and my aunt noticed something was off.

"Are you ok?" she asked.

"Something strange happened but I am fine." I responded.

"Ok? What is something strange?"

"My senses have intensified. That's about it really."

"What about your eyes?"

"What do you mean?"

She motioned to look in the mirror that was behind me. When I did I noticed my eyes were glowing.

"MY EYES ARE GLOWING??!!!" I said in a panic.

"Calm down dear. I think you are a nova." she responded softly.

"What does that mean?" I asked.

"It means you have abilities that make you stronger and different. It is not necessarily a bad thing as long as you use your abilities for the right reasons."

"Ok. I am heading home for now. I am going to look into what else I can do. I will talk to you later."

"Ok, be careful."

I live in the same apartment complex as my parents. It makes things easier for us. I headed up the stairs to my apartment to relax and play some games. I opened the door and had to stop because everything went dark. I walked over to the window and noticed anyone walking by were bright? 'I can see the infrared spectrum.' I thought to myself. I was able to change my vision relatively easily. I could smell the dead rats in the walls, and hear people ordering food in the restaurant nearby. I live in Washington D.C. I do have a part time job working at the restaurant nearby. I have my degree since I was able to graduate early, I knew I had a knack for learning this could explain why. I don't have too many friends but that is fine with me. I turned on the tv and saw news about a person with strange abilities robbing a bank. I decided to call my family friend in the CIA.

"Hello." he said after picking up the phone.

"Hey Andrew, it's Evalyn." I said.

"Hey what's up, is everything ok?"

"Kind of. I wanted to see what you know about novas?"

"I know a little. I know they have abilities that make them different and it's rare to see two novas alike even if they have the same abilities they are vastly different. Why are you asking?"

"I just had an event and now my senses are heightened and I am able to move faster than before and my eyes are glowing."

"So you are a nova. That's interesting. Have you told your parents yet?"

"Not yet. I wanted to relax a little before. Thanks for letting me know."

"You're all good. You can call me any time."

We hung up the phone and I started to call my parents but my dad beat me to it.

"Hey what's going on? Your aunt called us. Are you ok?" my dad started with one breath.

"I am fine, just confused and getting used to it."

"Ok. we can look into anywhere that can help."

"Ok. I am going to head off and play some games before going to bed. Love you guys."

"We love you too."

We hung up and I went back to playing games and thinking about what happened. I went off to bed a few hours later.