-𝐿.

Writing the letter took Lovette longer than she had planned, but it was necessary to use a different handwriting every time she wrote a letter, knowing people could otherwise recognise her and track her down.

It was already dangerous enough to be here, she knew that. There were many cranks, cranks who knew her. Cranks who knew her history.

She always tried to hide behind clothing. A brown bandana with a mandala on it wrapped around the lower part of her face, covering her nose and mouth from any sand and hiding her identity. She had gotten the bandana as a present on her last birthday and loved it. The bandana was made of a rough piece of cloth which could almost impossibly slide off her face. The mandala was coloured in with a rusty red, a ginger orange and a teal blue colour.

The cowboy hat she wore was a simple brown colour and has a multi-coloured cord around the crown.

The bottom part of the girl's boots were the same brown colour as her hat. But the top part which ran from ankle till just under the knee was a pistachio green colour. The embroidery on the vamps of the boots and on the sides were 2 different brown colours and white.

Lovette stood up, adjusting her loose hair so it fell over her shoulders. She put the piece of paper with her letter in one of the old envelopes laying around. The envelope was dirtied with stains and filth. The girl wiped her thumb over the only white part in the middle of the paper and quickly scribbled down the address.

The Last City, Denver
Corner of Kenwood and Brookshire
Apartment 2792

Lovette held the letter close to her chest while she shuffled through the people around her. She had decided to keep calling them people, not cranks. It was a way to not anger them, but she also knew better. She also knew that these cranks wouldn't care if anyone called them that. That is what they were, and they knew it. Lovette called them people to keep her sane. Bloody hell, if she would call only non cranks people, she wouldn't have said the word more than 5 times in her life.

The girl shoved past the last few people before she reached the counter. The place was full of grime and filth. There wasn't one clean spot on the once smooth floor. There were a few cranks sitting against the wall, the thin barrier being the only thing which held them upright. She quickly looked away, not wanting to attract any more attention to herself than she did before.

Lovette laid the envelope down on the counter, her fingertips holding it down on the smooth surface so no people would get the idea to steal it.

"Hello hello, here once again?"

Lovette nodded, not giving away any information about herself except her appearance, which was also mostly covered.

"Well, I will send that out for you. Until next time?"

Lovette nodded once again, her eyes had been turned towards the floor the whole time. She didn't knew if she would come back here once again. But she did know that this man was one of the only nice people she had met here.

"You're not coming back here, are you?"

Lovette's hand moved upwards towards her face before she remembered the bandana which covered half of it. She instead scratched her neck, a silent sign the man was right.

"That's a shame, I liked you. Well, have good life."

The girl nodded for the last time and turned around. She walked fast. She didn't want to come back here again, ever.

"Hello good looking, what are you doing here, alone? Someone like you can't handle yourself out here. Don't you know that? Silly, silly-"

A gunshot echoed through the building, but no one bat an eye at the sound. Lovette stood there, confused as the man fell forwards, a bullet right through the back of his head.

Lovette looked up, seeing a woman. The woman was probably in her late 40's. She had a short pixie cut and grey hair. The woman wore ripped clothes, a light green sweater with just over the knee length  jeans. She did look pretty young for her age, but maybe that was because Lovette didn't knew any better. The purple veins creeping up her leg were the only thing which made her not fall under the category people, although she did fall under Lovette's category of people.

"I'm gonna miss you, take care of yourself. I have some stuff here for you. Take it, please." The woman handed Lovette a bag, a bag filled with food, water and a warm blanket.

Lovette stepped forwards, embracing the woman in front of her. The woman hugged back, making the young girl feel safe.

"By the way, my name is Esther. Since you wanted to know." Lovette laughed quietly, remembering the weird conversation she had with the woman the first time she came here.

"Lovette, it was a pleasure to meet you and your husband." Esther gasped, happily surprised.

"You spoke! And your accent! I love it, my darling." Lovette looked up, revealing only her dark brown eyes to the woman who was holding her hands gently.

"And a pretty one with that." The older woman handed the gun to Lovette and held up her hand.

12. 12 bullets.

The girl nodded, swung the bag over her shoulder and walked towards the door, giving one last nod to the woman she had came to befriend. The woman nodded back, a small and friendly smile dancing on her face.

Lovette walked out of the post office and towards the small sheltered place she had found. Attaching the bag to the saddle, she opened it and pulled out 2 apples. She bit into one, holding the piece of fruit steady in between her teeth. She broke another apple in 4 pieces and fed them to her friends.

She grabbed hers again, the apple making a loud sound. Biting into the fruit once again, she grabbed the withers of her horse and jumped on.

She turned around, walking away from the broken city. The other 3 following their leader, but she couldn't help herself. She looked back, towards the post office one more time. And she saw them.

The couple she had grown to love over the past few months. And she had a slight idea, that they had also grown to love her. The tears in their eyes made her smile behind her bandana. Lovette turned around once again, but she saw their hands, signing.

"My eyes refuse to watch you leave, so my tears will blur the memory."