Chapter 1

Sierra

“The boss sends word for you to get dressed for the event tonight ma'am.” I was by the garden when one of the servants came to me with the news. I wasn't surprised by this as it had already become the norm in our one year of marriage but today I was feeling a bit uneasy as my mind wandered the same about how long I had survive in this marriage.

Today marked my one year anniversary with Mason and even though for every wife of how today was to be celebrated for accomplishing this milestone, I was different. I was indifferent to this marriage of mine as to me it was just a marriage of convenience to pleasing both families. I placed a tight smile on my face before turning around to the servant with a nod before he gave a slight bow and walked away. I took a walk along the garden for a little while enjoying the serenity of the afternoon breeze hitting my face as I took in the surrounding scent.

I was now the wife to the Italian Mafia family who were known as the De Luan. Mason was in charge of his family's companies and businesses all around the country as well as his Mafia's family dealings and underground businesses. I did dream of becoming a wife to the Mafia world not to Mason but Christian but right now I believed he wasn't meant to be in my destiny. One whole year had passed and my life didn't seem to change one bit. My husband Mason was always indifferent with me and wasn't interested in our sham of a marriage like me but I did want a little respect which he also deprived of me. I had to act like a little doll obeying his every order. I had to for the sake of my father as he made me promise to give my all into this marriage and never once dare to ask for a divorce.

I kept my word for a whole year and didn't ask for divorce but I did hope that Mason would oblige for a divorce but he never did. I always wondered why he never did because I knew he wasn't happy in our marriage but didn't ask him either and kept to myself. I got back into the mansion and met two of my personal maids lined at either sides of me with their heads slightly bowed. They were in charge of getting me ready for tonight's event that was to be held at my in-laws villa to celebrate our one year wedding anniversary.

They tagged behind me as I walked up the stairs and heading towards my own room. Mason and I never shared a room in all our one year of marriage and that was the only comfort and space I got from this marriage. Everything else I had to do according to my husband's wishes. As expected, a large rectangular box was waiting on my large bed the moment I got to my room.

“I'll prepare your bath ma'am,” I heard one of them but my attention was focused on the large box on my bed and knew it could only contain one thing. I walked over to my bed and carefully took the transparent wrap off the box before taking the lid off to reveal a black gown with shades of grey colour on the sides. “It's pretty ma'am.” The other maid spoke in awe with her mouth hanging open. I took out the dress and took a closer view. It was backless with a cut at the left side of the gown. The neckline was shimmered in tiny diamonds forming a neckband. It was also sleeveless and a little exposed at the cleavage area. I gulped in trying not to become weak at the moment.

I didn't want to shed yet another tear pondering on how my life had turned to this. Living a life like this was never what I dreamed of living when I got married one day but I was living the life of a worldess wife who had no say in her life but to be married to a dictator who saw women as only tools meant to stick to the bed. My body was now shivering with anguish but I pulled myself together as not to cry in front of the servants that were in my room.

“Both of you leave...” I said biting my lips not to let out a small sound. “Ma'am? Am...” My hands tightened the gown when I raised my voice higher. “I said Leave!” Both of the servants left my room and the moment the door closed, I immediately bust into tears feeling my life slipping away from my control. My husband didn't respect me nor allowed me to have my wishes heard. In short I was his wife to the public and media but behind closed doors, I was only an addition to his household. I saw myself as only a commodity to add to his life that had no value. That was the definition of my life as the wife of Mason De Luan.