❦ Chapter 9 ❦

3702 Words

Prompt: If you wish me a happy birthday again, I'm going to kick you somewhere you're not going to enjoy

TW: talk about self-harm, grief

. . • . ° .• °:. * ° .

𝓘𝓽'𝓼 𝓼𝓽𝓻𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓪𝓾𝓽𝓾𝓶𝓷 𝓲𝓼 𝓼𝓸 𝓫𝓮𝓪𝓾𝓽𝓲𝓯𝓾𝓵; 𝔂𝓮𝓽 𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓻𝔂𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓲𝓼 𝓭𝔂𝓲𝓷𝓰
- 𝓤𝓷𝓴𝓷𝓸𝔀𝓷

. . • . ° .• °:. * ° .

𝓢𝔀𝓮𝓮𝓽 16
𝕋𝕙𝕦𝕣𝕤𝕕𝕒𝕪 𝕆𝕔𝕥𝕠𝕓𝕖𝕣 𝟙𝟚𝕥𝕙. 𝟚𝟘𝟚𝟛

It's been four days since Scarlett caught me self-harming. I still don't know how to feel about that. I had a conversation with her and Dad about it. He was very sad about it and didn't really understand why I did it. I can't blame him; I didn't explain it very well. I don't really have a good reason I suppose. He did make sure I knew he was going to help me despite not understanding. They want me to come to them if I have any urges to hurt myself, but I think we all know I won't. That's not how my mind works, but we can see how it goes.

The most annoying sound wakes me up, my alarm. I turn it off, groan, and press my head into my pillow. I would love a few more hours of sleep but if I'm awake, I'm awake. I slowly sit up and hear a knock at my door. I mumble a come in and Rose comes running. She jumps on my bed and hugs me.

''HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRECKLES!'' She yells and I flinch at the high pitch.

''Thank you, little one,'' I said softly before pressing a kiss on the top of her head.

''Happy birthday Faith, Rose let's let her get ready while we make some breakfast,'' Scarlett says, leaning against the doorframe. I smile at her in thanks and Rose gets off me. After they left, I changed into some clothes before picking up the picture of me and my mom. My finger touches her face softly. ''I miss you, mommy,'' I whisper softly before putting it down again and walking downstairs.

I walk into the kitchen and Dad gets up. He walks towards me and opens his arms. Today is both a happy and sad day for both of us. On the one hand, it's my birthday but on the other, it's the death day of my mom and his wife. We hug each other while saying happy birthday and I'm sorry for your loss, like we do every year. After that, we part. I can see tears in my dad's eyes, but he turns away from me quickly. He never wants me to see him cry. Scarlett gets up and hugs him. I look confused. His other girlfriend would tell him to get it together and not live in the past. She hugs him and lets him cry over my mom.

A while ago I asked myself what was so different about Scarlett, maybe this is it. Maybe she accepts that he has a past, a daughter, and a wife. She doesn't push his feelings away; she lets them be there. She helps him. Wow. I guess that is what's different. Or at least one of the things that is different. 

I manage to stop looking at them and walk further into the kitchen to prepare some lunch, but I see there is already something started.

''I started making lunch, since it's your birthday I wanted to do that for you. It's for 5 people in total right?'' Scarlett says and I nod. ''Good, any allergies?'' She asks and I shake my head. ''Okay, then you, birthday girl, sit your ass down next to Rose and enjoy your breakfast while I finish making you guys lunch.'' She says with a smile, and I smile back at her, it's really nice of her to do this. I sit next to Rose who turns to me.