Chapter 3: Detention

Start from the beginning

"I hope so," Enzo said quietly, "because if this is someone who's supposed to have more experience, they might want to reconsider their life choices."

Draco snorted at that comment, his hands using a sponge to clean up a large pot.

Enzo finished what he was currently working on, then saw out a large pot on the floor a few feet away. "Uhh Professor?" he asked, "are we supposed to clean that as well?"

Snape barely removed his eyes from the paper he was reading; instead, he just nodded.

Enzo sighed loudly, then tried to lift it. It was way heavier than it looked, and just as he was about to give up, Mattheo came to help. He grabbed one of the handles on the side, looking Enzo in the eyes before nodding to the pot. Enzo grabbed the other handle. "1, 2, 3." They managed to lift it onto one of the tables before letting go.

"I think I'll take it from here," Theo interrupted, shimmering his way in between Enzo and Mattheo. Theo stared at Mattheo until he surrendered and fled to do something else. Theo turned to Enzo, who simply shrugged. Together they began cleaning the pot.

No one knew how long had passed when Snape excused himself to leave for a moment. He made it clear that they were to continue with their work while he was gone.

The moment the door closed behind him, Draco let out a loud sigh. "I cannot take another moment of this."

"Well, then you're in luck, princess," Theo replied, "you merely have three days left."

Draco dramatically banged his head into the table, making his friends laugh. Enzo used this as a distraction to head over to where Mattheo was seated. He was sitting down on a chair, a few feet away from the rest of them, cleaning smaller bottles off with a cloth.

"Hey," Enzo whispered, pulling out a chair to sit opposite Mattheo, who shot him a small smile before looking down at the table again. "Why'd you help me before?"

Mattheo looked up, finally meeting his eyes. "Don't want any trouble I suppose."

"No, I get that," Enzo frantically explained, keeping his voice low, "it's just, with the fight and all that?"

"Just tell me if you don't want me to help you again," Mattheo replied, looking at Enzo through glossy eyes, "and I'll stop."

"That's not what I mean-," Enzo got cut off by Theo grabbing his arm. "Enz, we need you to talk about our-," Theo stopped mid-sentence, looking oddly at Mattheo before shaking his head and continuing, "our plans."

Mattheo met Enzo's eyes. "What plans?"

Theo eyed Mattheo up and down, his eyebrows raised in surprise. "None of your concern."

Mattheo let it go, quickly realizing that he didn't want to pick a fight with Theo. Enzo sighed but eventually turned away with Theo, returning to Draco and Blaise.

It was almost midnight when Blaise poked Draco's side as he lay asleep in his bed. Blaise signed for Draco to be quiet just as he was about to cuss Blaise out for waking him up. Enzo and Theo were already up and dressed in black, waiting by their beds. Enzo glanced at Mattheo's bed, but he seemed to still be asleep.

Once Draco was ready, Blaise motioned for them to leave. Every step they took towards the door made the old floorboards creak. "What are you guys doing?" They all froze in place, none of them daring to turn around. Mattheo lit a candle, making it easier for him to see the four boys trying to sneak their way to the door.

Mattheo rubbed his eyes as Enzo turned around to face him. "Don't worry about it," he said, "we'll be back in 30 minutes."

Theo elbowed Enzo's side, making him wince. "I told you it was none of your concern, didn't I?" Theo said, standing up straight, crossing his arms.

Mattheo's eyes widened, and his mouth fell slightly open. "My apologies, but if my dorm mates are sneaking out past curfew, I am going to be concerned," Mattheo scoffed, "so I guess I will ask you again. What are you doing?"

Lorenzo and Theo looked at each other, debating what to say. Theo closed his eyes in a moment of thought, but opened them in shock of what Enzo says next. "Get dressed."

Before Theo could protest, Draco was already at it, grabbing Enzo's arm. "What the hell, mate?"

"Mattheo is coming with us, but only if he promises not to say anything about what happens tonight," Enzo explained, looking from his friends to Mattheo, who was still sitting on his bed, looking very confused. "Do you promise?"

A/N

My notes from ao3 copied into here: hello! It took my a little to write this chapter, but it is finally here! We're finally getting the tiniest amount of development in the story, which will hopefully lead to some more exiting stuff coming soon. I hope you enjoyed so far.