Chapter Twelve: The Third Task

Start from the beginning

George went to go after his girlfriend, but Fred stopped him. "Wait. This probably has to do with the secrets she can't tell us. Just let her go." George hated that he couldn't go help her or be her comfort, but relented.

Annabeth ran down to where Professors McGonagall and Snape were sitting as everyone continued to cheer around her. The band had even started playing. "What is it? What's happened?" Annabeth asked them.

"What do you mean?" McGonagall wondered as students started to leave the stands to go congratulate Harry and Cedric. Then, someone screamed. McGonagall stood up with Snape and looked down at the two boys. "Oh, my goodness."

Annabeth made to run to Harry as Dumbledore made his way there, but Snape held her back. "Let the Headmaster, Miss Smith."

Dumbledore knelt by Harry after he tried unsuccessfully to pull Harry off of Cedric's dead body. Annabeth followed McGonagall and Snape as they raced over to stand behind the students. Fred and George were in the front and could see everything.

"For God's sake, Dumbledore, what's happened?" Annabeth heard Fudge ask.

"He's back! He's back! Voldemort's back!" Harry cried out. "Cedric, he asked me to bring his body back. I couldn't leave him. Not there."

Dumbledore cupped Harry's face to console him. "It's alright, Harry. It's alright. He's home. You both are."

Fudge came over towards Annabeth, McGonagall, and Snape and yelled out— "Keep everybody in their seats." Then he spoke lower to the Professors. "A boy has just been killed." Annabeth followed Fudge, Snape, and McGonagall over to Dumbledore, but stood back behind them. "He must be moved, Dumbledore. Too many people."

"Let me through!" She heard Amos Diggory shout as he came racing down the steps with Arthur on his heels. "That's my son! That's my boy!" He cried before dropping to his knees in tears at Cedric's head. "My boy!"

Dumbledore was trying to console Amos with Arthur, and Snape and McGonagall were focused on the body with Fudge. Annabeth was so distraught by the bond and everything going on she didn't notice at first when Harry went missing. Suddenly, she realized he wasn't laying over Cedric's body anymore.

"Harry?" She looked around and couldn't find him. "Harry!" Then, she realized Mad-Eye wasn't in the crowd either and that the bond was still alive and loud.

With the bond pounding in her ears, Annabeth pulled a perturbed Snape aside. "What is it, Miss Smith? And is now really the time?"

"Harry's missing and so is Professor Moody."

"So? Perhaps he took the boy to get looked at by Madam Pomfrey."

Annabeth leaned in and whispered to her Potions Professor. "The bond is loud. Something is wrong. Professor Moody has been acting odd all year."

Something clicked in the back of Snape's mind, but what it was Annabeth didn't know. "I'll get Minerva and the Headmaster. Wait here."

Snape walked over to McGonagall, spoke to her a minute, then left. McGonagall came to stand with Annabeth. "You don't have to come, Miss Smith."

"I'm coming. No one, not you, not even Professor Dumbledore, is going to stop me." Annabeth told the older Witch.

McGonagall sighed. She wished Annabeth would live her life more for herself than her cousin. "Very well."

Snape was whispering in Dumbledore's ear where he kneeled next to Amos. "Arthur, take my spot." Dumbledore stood up and Arthur took his place, wrapping his arms around his shattered friend.

Snape nodded his head for McGonagall and Annabeth to come and the four Wizards ran off for the ancient castle.

------